Talk

Advanced search

yorkshire puddings - best recipe?

(22 Posts)
LacyLeggins Sun 19-Sep-10 21:01:54

am fed up of buyng frozen and want to make my own! anyone know what i use and how to cook? thanks.

ruddynorah Sun 19-Sep-10 21:08:27

can you make pancakes? it's pancake batter.

i do

1 mug plain flour
1 mug milk
3 eggs (more eggs best for higher rise)
pinch salt

whisk it altogether and leave in fridge for 20 mins.

put half teaspoon oil in each bit of pudding tin. heat up for 20 mins til very very hot.

quickly add dollops of batter to oil.

back in oven for 20 mins ish til risen high and golden colour.

yum diddly!

cat64 Sun 19-Sep-10 21:09:59

Message withdrawn

conflicted Sun 19-Sep-10 21:12:46

Mine works every time and is remarkably simple:

125g of Strong Bread Flour
2 eggs
150ml milk
150ml water
0.5 teaspoon of salt (not optional - needed for rising)

Mix together in any old order (ignore stuff about making wells, I used to let my toddlers do it and they came out fine).

Let the batter rest for about an hour (or longer). Needn't be in fridge.

Heat a muffin tray to 220C with a bit of oil and a bit of butter in each dimple.

When smoking hot, add the batter. Cook at 220C for about 25-30 mins.

Risen and golden every time

And SOOOOOOO easy (takes about 3 mins of preparation and then the cooking)

ruddynorah Sun 19-Sep-10 21:13:01

eh? it's no work at all. mug, milk, flour eggs. no work. so much tastier, fluffier, bigger than frozen.

and it means you can make toad in the hole smile

ruddynorah Sun 19-Sep-10 21:14:03

i don't even weigh the stuff. bung it in. easy. no work. honest.

pantaloons Sun 19-Sep-10 21:16:19

I do
4oz plain flour
pinch salt
1/2pt milk
1 egg.

Dead easy.

Brush bun tin with oil and put in oven on v hot. The oil needs to have a heat haze and be smoking to get puddings really yummy.

Put flour and salt in a jug. Make a well in the middle and drop in egg. Mix well. Gradually add in milk and combine well to from a smooth batter.

Pour into bun tins and cook for 20 mins.

Yum.

tb Sun 19-Sep-10 21:48:33

If you want to be able to just take them out of the freezer and put them in the over, you could always make a big batch and then freeze them.

LacyLeggins Sun 19-Sep-10 23:56:54

thankyou everyone for the help. was i wrong in thinkng you had to use self raising flour then? i thought you had to, in order for them to rise.

ruddynorah Mon 20-Sep-10 13:06:50

No. Plain flour. The key is very hot fat and plenty eggs.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 20-Sep-10 13:12:25

I use Delia's recipe:

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/party-foo d/accompaniment/yorkshire-pudding.html

I double the quantities and use a muffin tray, which has 12 'holes'. They are lovely and rise really well, helped by the deeper sides.

But absolutely agree, the real secret is very hot fat and hot oven.

I also make sure that I use plenty of oil (vegetable/sunflower) - at least 2mm of oil in each hole.

pingusmumtoo Mon 20-Sep-10 14:36:15

Pretty much same as others ....
•110g of plain white flour
•2 medium eggs
•300ml of chilled milk
•2-3 tablespoonfuls of olive oil/beef dripping/rape seed oil
•Large pinch of salt

Stick it all in a bowl and use a stick blender (dunno why but really seems to make a difference) or a whisk and beat until all combined and smooth.
Ideally, return the mixture to the fridge in a jug for half an hour to chill. If you don’t have time for that the puds will be fine, just won’t rise quite as much.
Put a little oil (about 0.5 tsp) in each hole in a muffin tin and put on the top shelf of a preheated oven 220c (200c fan) for ten minutes.
Quickly whisk your batter and pour onto the hot, smoking oil in the wells in the cake tin. The oil should bubble up around the batter. Speed counts.
Bake at the top of the oven for 20 minutes, turning the tray around after ten minutes.

Massive and yummy xx

ladydeedy Fri 24-Sep-10 18:16:50

agree with recipes above. really easy. also my mum used to make the batter in the morning and put in the fridge till time to use it (a few hours later - said it is best to leave it for a while before you use it). she used to add a drop of veg oil to the batter mix (not sure why!). I add a bit of mustard too. is so easy - enjoy!

longhaul Fri 24-Sep-10 18:21:25

115g pl flour
2 eggs
1 egg white
175ml milk plus 50ml water
pinch salt

No need to rest it. Cook in very hot dripping.

EagleNebula Fri 24-Sep-10 18:58:28

No need to weigh. Crack the number of eggs you are using into a glass. Pour into bowl.

Now add milk to the glass, up to the level where the eggs were. Pour into bowl, and repeat with plain flour, adding up to the level of the liquids in the glass. Add a pinch of salt, whisk together until smooth.

The key though is hot fat. I turn my oven to the highest setting, pour oil into the trays, and put these in the oven for at least 20 mins, then take out, quickly add batter and put back in. Don't open the oven door until you're sure they are done.

DramaDramaDrama Sun 07-Nov-10 15:51:10

I can make yorkshires that are big & fluffdy but they always collapse into a soggy dollop whilst I am dishing up the rest of the dinner.

???? hmm

mumzy Sun 07-Nov-10 18:46:54

agree Delia's is the best recipe the trick seems to make sure the oil in the pan is very hot (smokingly hot is good) and to cook the yp in the centre of the oven by themselves

Northernlurker Sun 07-Nov-10 19:24:17

I used 5 eggs in the 24 I made today. I don't weigh either - just by sight and go for a mixture like thick but still runny cream. I use lard and the oven at maximum.

DramaDramaDrama Sun 07-Nov-10 19:41:03

Right I am back - I used 4oz plain flour, 2 eggs, a pinch of salt & 1/2 pint of milk.

I cooked for 15min on 220 & 20min on 190 & they were perfect grin

dearprudence Sun 07-Nov-10 19:46:46

I don't weigh - go by volume, same as Eagle.

Same volume for plain flour, milk, eggs, plus about half a teaspoon of salt. I usually allow a bit more flour and milk, but wwould use 3 medium or 2 large eggs for 12 puddings. I stick it all in the food processor then tip into a jug and leave to rest while I'm cooking.

Heat fat as others have said. If you use silicone tins, they will simply lift out and never stick.

DooinMeCleanin Sun 07-Nov-10 20:15:20

I've just used ruddynorahs recipe and my puds were lovely.

I don't normally measure anything at all. I just bung it all in. Sometimes they are great, sometimes not.

I use lard though. I think oil makes them greasy.

BuffDayKnickers0nMyHead Sun 14-Nov-10 15:07:49

I second using lard..makes the best yorkie puds that way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now