Talk

Advanced search

recipe for brambles needed

(6 Posts)
Mocha Mon 28-Jul-03 10:58:51

My garden has become overrun with bramble bushes . I would therefore like to make bramble jelly. Can anyone help with a recipe.
Thanks

Boe Mon 28-Jul-03 11:07:14

Mine is overrun with slugs at the mo - any recipes out there he he

Sure Nigella had one in one of her books Mocha.

Got loads of cooking apples on big tree if anyone lives in SE London/Kent and wants to come and get them - they are falling off and rotting at the mo!!

Mocha Mon 28-Jul-03 11:08:47

Thanks Boe, I have Nigella's book so I will go look now.

bettys Mon 28-Jul-03 11:31:44

Freeze blackberries spread on a tray, then bag up and use for sprinking into apple crumbles or pies throughout winter.

Blackberry jam is very easy. Just use the same weight of sugar as berries, and cook until setting point is reached. Ading a few red blackberries helps the pectin level. Makes the house smell fab while it's cooking!

Janstar Mon 28-Jul-03 12:41:28

Bramble Jelly

Place 4lb blackberries, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 10 fl oz water in a large preserving pan. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for an hour, uncovered, until the fruit is very tender. Squish the fruit against the sides of the pan from time to time.

Take a scalded jelly bag or piece of cheesecloth and hang it over a large bowl. You can do this with string and an upturned chair. Pour in the blackberry slush and allow to drain for at least 12 hours. Do not squeeze the bag as this will make the jelly cloudy.

Measure the juice and put it back in the preserving pan, adding 1 pound of sugar for every pint of liquid. Dissolve over low heat, then raise the heat and boil briskly, without stirring for about 10 minutes or until setting point is reached.

Ladle into hot clean jam jars, leaving half an inch at the top. Cover and wipe the jars.

You can also use blackberries to make homemade wine or flavoured spirits. You can make blackberry curd too.

Mocha Thu 07-Aug-03 16:50:37

Thanks for the recipe Janstar. I have now made the jelly, so all we have to do now is try i.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: