Talk

Advanced search

Carbonara:With cream or without?

(34 Posts)
LetThereBeRock Fri 23-Jul-10 12:22:25

I'm going to attempt making Jamie Oliver's sausage carbonara tonight.

I don't usually use cream in carbonara but I can't decide if I should go out and get some cream as the recipe does call for it.

I'm curious to know if others prepare their carbonara with cream or not?

omnishambles Fri 23-Jul-10 12:24:16

Its supposed to be without isnt it but we do it with and I prefer it - it completely takes away that chance of scrambed egg as well if you're not paying attention...the dcs like it too.

fluffles Fri 23-Jul-10 12:26:04

My DP makes it without and it's very good.. but i haven't seen jamie's recipe, ours is very simple i think (i don't make it grin)

Exogenesis Fri 23-Jul-10 12:29:22

I always use cream for Carbonara. I find it makes a nicer sauce than without and and as Omnishambles said it stops the scrambled egg thing

EightiesChick Fri 23-Jul-10 12:31:06

We have it both ways but I do like it with cream. Makes it a bit more treaty.

Alouiseg Fri 23-Jul-10 12:31:19

Always use cream.

And a knorr chicken stick cube blush

Aitch Fri 23-Jul-10 12:34:11

it's too gloopy with cream imo. think the cream thing started here because italian restaurants realised they were piss-takers for charging seven quid for a bowl of pasta, an egg, some bacon and a couple of slivers of garlic. added value, innit?

HaveToWearHeels Fri 23-Jul-10 12:47:00

without cream

LordPanofthePeaks Fri 23-Jul-10 12:56:06

carbonara sans cream??!! Zut alors!!

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 23-Jul-10 12:57:22

Cream, but only a small amount.

Have also used low fat yoghurt or fromage frais before, which was OK.

Ballpoint Fri 23-Jul-10 12:58:10

With for us and lots of too. Mmmmmmm fatty.

LetThereBeRock Fri 23-Jul-10 13:38:00

I think it'll have to be sans cream tonight. I'm too lazy to go out and get some.blush

Aitch Fri 23-Jul-10 13:47:45

sans cream doesn't actually make it less fatty, of course... not if you add more olive oil. (must say the idea of sausage carbonara turns my stomach. although i have done a lovely creamy sage pasta with roast pumpkin and italian sausage, so if it's along those lines.)

LetThereBeRock Fri 23-Jul-10 14:41:25

That sounds incredible.envy

I am using Italian sausages but I've no pumpkin unfortunately.

Aitch Fri 23-Jul-10 14:47:16

if it's italian snags then yum, lol i was thinking butchers...

MrsJohnDeere Fri 23-Jul-10 14:57:51

I think it tastes much nicer with fromage frais rather than cream. I only use cream if I have nothing else.

FellatioNelson Sat 24-Jul-10 08:23:30

You definitely need a good splash of cream, or the egg will just set and go scrambly - uurggh. The cream will make a nicer runnier sauce that will coat the pasta. And all this talk of yoghurt and fromage frais?shock

But Mascarpone is an acceptable pasta sauce additive, (though not technically correct for carbonara) so I can get my head around FF (just) but yoghurt - no way. <Boak>

Aitch Sat 24-Jul-10 10:04:12

those poor italians, getting carbonara wrong all this time... wink

Scootergrrrl Sat 24-Jul-10 10:16:03

Without cream, definitely - splash in some of the cooking water from the pasta to prevent the scrambled egg thingy. That Gennaro bloke who's like Jamie O's second father said this, so it must be true wink

Aitch Sat 24-Jul-10 10:16:51

oh yes deffo do that, pasta water tastes lush as well. and a dod more oil.

FellatioNelson Sat 24-Jul-10 10:19:22

I suppose it's one of those things that varies regionally - but I've only ever seen one in a restaurant (in the UK) that didn't have cream and it was dry and very unappealing, and wasn't at all what the recipient expected. And I've eaten in Italy with cream.

Same with moules marinieres - lots of argument about whether the mussel liquer should have a splash of cream or not - technically I think it may be wrong, but personally I would say yes every time. Too watery without.

Aitch Sat 24-Jul-10 10:46:25

restaurants put cream in because it's added value and because it's easier to prep, not because it tastes better. because tbh it doesn't, a proper, well-cooked carbonara alla ricetta cucchiaio d'argento is infinitely tastier.

DontCallMeBaby Sat 24-Jul-10 11:00:34

With cream here - primarily so that DH doesn't finally notice that there is barely cooked egg in the sauce, and have a fit of the vapours. hmm

Lavitabellissima Sat 24-Jul-10 11:08:17

I like the sound of Sausage Carbonara Letthereberock can you link the recipe?

DP is Italian and makes Carbonara without cream. If I have a recipe that asks for it I usually use creme fraiche instead.

FellatioNelson Sat 24-Jul-10 11:09:25

I made the saudage carbonara once and it was very sickly and too rich.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now