Talk

Advanced search

sucrose, fructose and dairy free

(16 Posts)
auntevil Mon 19-Jul-10 12:13:16

Looking for help with recipes that combine the following food intolerances - fructose, sucrose and dairy. Have recently had DS1 diagnosed as sucrose and fructose intolerant and DS2 and DS3 as dairy intolerant. Hospital information given was limited - swap all fruit (tinned, fresh and dried) for rhubarb sweetened with aspartame!!! Swap sweets for crisps! You probably get the picture. It does rule out sweetening with honey and natural juice, which is a pain. The dairy I can handle, I have plenty of recipes. What I would like is something all of them could eat. I have searched on-line, but so far have only come up with 1 recipe that works, but it wasn't that popular. Main meals are fine - it's just treats that I am struggling with. Please please please - all recipes tried!

KnottyLocks Mon 19-Jul-10 16:22:04

Blimey, that's a challenge.

Can DS1 have maple syrup?

KnottyLocks Mon 19-Jul-10 16:25:39

Brown rice syrup could be an alternative.

hellymelly Mon 19-Jul-10 16:35:12

Possibly xylitol? (birch sugar)You can get this in granulated form.Or agave syrup,but I have a feeling that may be partially fructose.The dairy free is fairly easy,its the sugars that will be tricky.don't use aspartame,it is a neurotoxin and should be banned imo.

KnottyLocks Mon 19-Jul-10 16:38:26

Can DS have sweet potatoes, butternut squash and carrots?

When I had to avoid egg with my son, I found quite a few reasonable recipe ideas on The Vegan Society web site and by googling vegan cake recipes.

If you could use maple syrup or rice syrup it would be so much easier for you. I did have a really nice muffin recipe that used squash or sweet potato instead of banana, I'm trying to remember where it is!

auntevil Mon 19-Jul-10 17:21:30

Thank you - xylitol is a definite possible, and I will try the vegan society website. KnottyLocks - if you can find a muffin recipe my DS1 would be your friend for life!

KnottyLocks Mon 19-Jul-10 17:38:23

Still looking for muffin recipe!

This site looks promising though. You could sub the sugar in the carrot cake recipe for the correct proportion of xylitol. Or same for rice syrup.

Pretty sure agave syrup is fructose.

I've just checked: maple syrup is sucrose - sorry.

KnottyLocks Mon 19-Jul-10 18:27:58

Choc muffin recipe

Page down. Worth a try with sugar sustitute? Leave out choc buttons and orange.

Still can't find my recipe.

BeenBeta Mon 19-Jul-10 18:35:42

Can you use glucose?

It is the final breakdown product of all the more complex sugars and is inherent and central to whole body's digestive and metabolic process.

It is widely available in shops too?

KnottyLocks Mon 19-Jul-10 22:24:56

Good shout, Beta.

Think that's a possible although you'd have to look closely at what the glucose was extracted from - some glucose syrups are from fruits which would defeat the object. I think you can get dextrose power, used to help build up people with malnourishment, long term illnesses etc. No idea if you can bake with it, you can sweeten tea with it and sprinkle it onto things. Might be worth an experiment.

Now this looks like you can bake with it: Rice and barley malt syrup.

I know you said dairy-free. Are you avoiding eggs too?

auntevil Tue 20-Jul-10 10:15:22

Thank you all - Rice syrup looks a good one - I'm guessing that i could use this like for like when recipes are sweetened with honey. I will try it with the carrot and cinnamon cake (love all carrot cake, so it the DSs don't like it - all the more for me ). I'm also going to look at the xylitol and see what forms it takes. This has been part of the hard part at adapting recipes, trial and error at getting the densities right. It's like being back at school in science lessons confused.

Eggs are fine - at the moment! The paediatrician and gastroenterologist have an idea what might be at the route of all their intolerances - just waiting for them to share their thoughts! i'm guessing it's a sugar thing -lactose, sucrose, fructose. Also DS1 has dyspraxia and poor upper body muscle tone. the latter I have found out can be due to not being able to break down sugars properly and store it sufficiently well to access when energy is needed. Everything is linked, I'm sure. KnottyLocks, BeenBeta and hellymelly - big smile to you all.

KnottyLocks Tue 20-Jul-10 10:54:52

Morning.

I'm pretty sure that I've read that if you have intolerance to fructose, you have a very strong possibility of being lactose intolerant. That would fit with your posse.

Anyhow,

Pumpkin Muffin Cakes:

115g butter/marg/veg or soya spread
175g sugar
115g golden syrup
225g pumpkin/ squash/ sweet potato, cooked and mashed
2 beaten eggs
200g plain flour
pinch salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp grated nutmeg (optional)

(I know it says sugar and syrup but I have made these using honey/ maple syrup instead and they've been good. Thought the rice syrup and Xylitol could sub instead.)

Oven 200c.

Cream marg & sugar, add syrup. Beat well.
Mix in eggs and pumpkin.
Sift in flour, salt, bicarb, cinnamon, nutmeg and lightly fold.
Spoon into muffin cases, 2 thirds full (approx 14)
Bake for 12-15 mins.

Also,
Spiced Oat biscuits:

50g porridge oats
75g wholemeal flour
half tsp salt
half tsp bicarb
half tsp mixed spice
75g veg marg
2oz honey/syrup

Oven 190c
Grease and flour baking sheet.
Mix together oats, flour, salt,bicarb and mixed spice.
Cream marg, beat in syrup.
Beat in oat mixture.
Place walnut sized balls of the mix onto a tray. Flatten slightly with a fork.
Bake for 15mins or until they begin to turn golden.
Leave on tray until cool and firm.

thumbwitch Tue 20-Jul-10 11:01:44

I was going to recommend you import some stevia from America but it apparently is not good in baking or sweets as it doesn't caramelise at all. It's a good natural sweetener but you won't get decent cookies out of it.

auntevil Wed 21-Jul-10 13:27:51

Thanks for the recipes KnottyLocks - I have already bought some xylitol and already it seems to be denser, more like traditional sugars. I have also ordered rice syrup off the internet - sounds good, but the proof of the pudding..... stevia is one I haven't heard of, thunbwitch. I shall do some research. I am definitely learning more about food science now than I ever did at school. xylitol is an alcohol - but the ok sort that you produce in your body naturally! Just as well or could you imagine sending DS1 to school with a note saying - ' sorry, my son had some sugar this morning at breakfast, and he's a bit drunk!'blushgrin

MsAM Wed 25-Oct-17 14:03:31

Well that sucks! Have you tried the Fructose Free Cooking site? It has a whole section dedicated to low fodmap and refined sugar free food - www.fructosefreecooking.com/home?tag=Refined%20Sugar%20Free and a lot of them are without dairy too. I hope they can help!

FawnDrench Wed 25-Oct-17 19:31:45

Zombie thread from over 7 years ago!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now