Talk

Advanced search

healthy breakfast cereal for toddler

(20 Posts)
krisskross Sun 18-Jul-10 22:49:56

after 2.5 years of ready brek and weetabix, DS has understandably stopped eating them. can anyone suggest another healthy cereal? I havent got the energy to decipher what it says on the back of the pack and i want to hold off the cocoa pops for a while yet....what do you suggest?

2to3 Sun 18-Jul-10 22:59:02

Muesli with no added sugar or salt works well for us (Tesco own brand one is fine), malt wheats or healthy/light bran flakes (although they still have quite a bit of sugar in them). All Bran was a massive hit strangely enough - they loved eating 'sticks' - but it had to stop due to the massive effect it had on their poos.

hellymelly Sun 18-Jul-10 23:03:08

Mine like porridge a lot,even in the Summer.

MrsKitty Sun 18-Jul-10 23:06:55

Mini Shredded Wheats (Tesco do an own brand version now) have no added ingredients bar the wheat.

SpeedyGonzalez Sun 18-Jul-10 23:07:21

Another muesli fan here. You could add extra fruit (dried or fresh) to make it even more appealing and healthy.

Or why not serve toast with a home-made smoothie (whiz a banana with milk in a blender - ta da!). I know it's not cereal, but it's just as healthy and balanced as a good cereal.

Our DS is nearly 4 and doesn't know that sugary, chocolatey cereals exist. Long may it continue...

nannynick Sun 18-Jul-10 23:14:27

Cornflakes, Rice Pops - sugar levels are higher than weetabix but still usually under 9%.

Mixing things can work - so cornflakes + bran sticks.

Oat cluster things seem to go down well, though not sure what the sugar/salt levels are on those.

Why stick with cereal though? What about scrambled egg on toast? That's protein, fibre and very little salt/sugar.

heverhoney1 Sun 18-Jul-10 23:19:39

SO glad I am not the only one that thinks chocolate for breakfast is decidedly hmm

happilyeverafter Sun 18-Jul-10 23:21:57

Porridge, weetabix or muesli here, have to be careful with muesli though as some are sweetened with sugar, check ingredients!

SchnitzelVonKrumm Sun 18-Jul-10 23:27:04

Greek yoghurt with honey and toasted oats?

MamaMimi Sun 18-Jul-10 23:49:40

Make your own muesli - that way you can tailor it to suit what ds likes and you'll know there is nothing in it that you don't want.

oats, granola, ground millet, crushed weetabix, crushed cornflakes or rice krispies (or just ground rice) any sort of cereal is fine, choose 2 or 3 and mix together

add some ground or chopped nuts, raisins or any other dried fruit ds would like, or just put fresh fruit in as you serve. Whichever way you do it this will sweeten it up naturally.

a touch of powdered skim milk adds a little something to it also but isn't necessary, just seems to make it a bit more like shop bought.

Make a big batch and it will last a while.

Alternatively, as MissKitty says shredded wheat are pure wheat and the mini versions are great for kids.

Butterpie Sun 18-Jul-10 23:55:24

Another "sticks" fan here. She also loves "squares" (co-op own brand mini shreddies).

Try sprinkling some raisins on top, or some fresh fruit.

Ready brek is actually quite sweetened, isn't it? (I give it my two, so not looking down on it)

petisa Mon 19-Jul-10 00:01:19

Shreddies and mini Oatibix.

MrsTicklemouse Mon 19-Jul-10 00:04:08

Mine love bran flakes, it's all DS1 (4yo) will have for breakfast! Sometimes he will eat them dry for a random snack! or toast

bytheMoonlight Mon 19-Jul-10 00:46:33

Rude Health was recomended to me by another MNer. They do it in Tesco.

It has no rubbish in it and my daughter (also 2.5) absolutly loves it

Seona1973 Mon 19-Jul-10 07:54:17

butterpie, ready brek has no added salt or sugar so isnt sweet at all.

FrameyMcFrame Mon 19-Jul-10 12:55:01

raisin wheats from sainsburys are a hit in our house

Lionstar Mon 19-Jul-10 12:57:37

Toast, porridge, Special K (but use supermarket own brand), granola with fruit and yoghurt.

mrsjuan Mon 19-Jul-10 12:59:38

DD loves raisin wheats - as far as I can tell they don't have anything added.

hellymelly Mon 19-Jul-10 16:36:48

kalo brown rice puffs are popular here .

user1465825386 Tue 14-Jun-16 15:17:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now