Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Now I remember why I never bake cakes...........

(44 Posts)
QueenOfQuotes Fri 19-Aug-05 22:34:14

After some very kind MN'ers found me a scrummy sounding recipe for Chocolate Cake with no eggs, butter or milk in it I duly got it in the oven.

First of all the top of it got burnt (yes the oven was at the right temp) so I had to cut the top off. I made up some icing on iced it and it looked really scrummy.

Just gone to eat some and it's rock hard - and completely inedible to us two (although the boys will probably eat it tomorrow). The annoying thing is that the top of the cake which I cut off is still lovely and soft and edible - even though it's been out in the open since 7pm (I'm not very good at cutting things so cut a larger than nessecary bit off the top ).

DH was really looking forward to some cake (as was I) and it's a complete disastor - and what a complete waste of 'resources' - the cupboards are bare (well apart from a few odds and ends) and I can't even manage to bake a sodding cake.

spacecadet Fri 19-Aug-05 22:35:37

remind me never to come round yours for tea then!

TwinSetAndPearls Fri 19-Aug-05 22:36:57

I tried to make some fairy cakes this evening, fell asleep and dp nearly came home to a burnt down house.

So you have my sympathies!

NannyL Fri 19-Aug-05 22:37:08

ok....

go to tesco...

get 100g if flour butter and caster sugar, and 2 eggs and beat it all together in a bowl (+ tsp of naking powder)....

by some cake cases... put them on a baking tray and put a desert spoon of mix in each one.... should make about 20... and cook in preheated oven at 180 / GM 4 for 15 mins!

you cant go wrong with that!

QueenOfQuotes Fri 19-Aug-05 22:38:26

Nanny - you going to give me the money to buy the flour. eggs and cake cases??

And actually I probably would go wrong with that.

TwinSetAndPearls Fri 19-Aug-05 22:39:47

Unless you fall asleep NannyL

GeorginaA Fri 19-Aug-05 22:39:48

I seem to remember someone telling me that cake baking and "normal" cooking are two very different skills. The latter, the good results are got by experimentation and tasting - exact measurements aren't crucial. The former is more like a science project - to bake a good cake requires exact measurements and precision timing. Most people seem to do well at one or the other as they're two very different styles of cooking.

Now me. I need a recipe for everything - not good at experimenting at all. Have far less cake disasters than normal cooking disasters. Slowly getting better at intuitive cooking with more experience, but it's not natural to me at all.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... just because you messed up on a cake doesn't make you a bad cook

serah Fri 19-Aug-05 22:41:28

QoQ... next time you bake a cake, put an ovenproof dish of water below the cake (anywhere in oven). It stops the tops going crispy.

Did I need to say ovenproof dish? Nah. Sod it. Put a yoghurt pot of water in - it'll be fine

QueenOfQuotes Fri 19-Aug-05 22:42:12

crispy - I'm afraid isn't quite the word for it - [frown]

kid Fri 19-Aug-05 22:54:14

Apple crumble is easy to make and tastes delicious. Doesn't even matter if you burn the top a little bit!

(it has butter in recipe but no eggs)

Aero Fri 19-Aug-05 23:47:44

lol - poor you QoQ - have a Jaffa Cake - that's about all I have in atm!

QueenOfQuotes Fri 19-Aug-05 23:52:32

aww - thanks - more than I@ve got in

tried out a pack of croutons I'd got lying in the back of the cupboard as a 'snack' today - they were foul - but got no soup to put them in to make them taste better. [frown]

Almost out of margarine
about 1/2pint of milk left
Enough flour for 1 more loaf of bread
Left over 'stuff' in the cupboards for a meal for tomorrow night (Green Lentils, Carrots, Onions, Sweetcorn - hopefully plenty of stock/water should make enough for sunday too).

We've gone of the overdraft limit, over teh credit card limit, and over the business account overdraft and credit card limits too (not huge amounts on those as we're still a new buisness acount and they only give you a very small 'credit' and overdraft figure to start off with).

ARGHH - I can't wait until the end of the month..... then we can pay the £600 of bank charges and catch up on some bills (none of which got paid at the end of July/beginning of August)

The only good thing is that mortgage provider have agreed to let us skip the payment they were unable to take at the end of July, skip this months and pay half in September.

ghost Fri 19-Aug-05 23:56:05

I had all these lovely vision of baking superb cakes for my childrens birthdays. Oh what fun we would have all baking and messing around together in the kitchen. The reality has been a 1st birthday cake that I put in the oven then remembered I had not added sugar - It had been in 20 mins - I took it out added the sugar an put it back in -funnily enough it did not make the birthday table. i then spent £45 on cake tins, boards icing bits and pieces (this time I meant business) - unfortunately the book I was using had loads of cake sizes and ingredients listed one after the other and I managed to mix up the ingredients for two different sized cakes......

kid Fri 19-Aug-05 23:57:40

Is there anyone you can invite yourself to have dinner with?!
Works all the time when we do that!

QueenOfQuotes Fri 19-Aug-05 23:58:52

lol Kid - I wish there was - all my friends are on holiday at the moment, and my family live too far away - plus DH has just started a new job (hence looking forward to the end of the month) where he works from about 2pm - 9pm (and I don't drive)....

serah Sat 20-Aug-05 00:02:16

crapola QoQ. Wish you lived near us!!!

QueenOfQuotes Sat 20-Aug-05 00:03:22

ooops - just realised how long and waffly my 11.52 post - but hopefully it may at least make sense as to why I'm so angry and upset at myself for screwing up baking a cake for which I followed the recipe to the T ...

serah Sat 20-Aug-05 00:05:10

christ QoQ, its fine to be angry and upset at a crappy cake, without all of that too. You don't have to explain!

QueenOfQuotes Sat 20-Aug-05 00:06:50

I guess so - althogh I woulnd't usually be this bad, and I do feel a bit bad for being so upset about it when Misdee and Aero (and others) are having a really crappy time at the moment

serah Sat 20-Aug-05 00:10:34

You can't always compare your feelings to others QoQ. You know this. Its all in perspective but this in itself does not invalidate feelings and frustrations

kid Sat 20-Aug-05 00:14:15

My parents and in-laws are both away on holiday. I was tempted to go and borrow some bits from their freezer but I went shopping instead.

Roll on the end of the month then.
Where abouts are you?

QueenOfQuotes Sat 20-Aug-05 00:16:11

I'm in Northants.

And ooh - can't believe I forgot one of the other 'key' things we're nearly out of.

DS2 has been wearing swim nappies for 2 days as we ran out of his nappies - got about 8 left of those and then - well I don't know what then LOL.

serah Sat 20-Aug-05 00:17:30

what size is DS2 in QoQ? Might actually be able to help you out there.

kid Sat 20-Aug-05 00:18:16

time for potty training or using a towel!
Sounds like you are bearing up, got to try and look on the bright side.

QueenOfQuotes Sat 20-Aug-05 00:19:03

he's in Tesco extra large (size 6 I think it is).

But - as I mentioned in a thread the other night, I won't accept any nappies through the post - DH is too proud for that - and he'd died of mortification

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now