Talk

Advanced search

Formula after 2?

(16 Posts)
jane313 Fri 19-Aug-05 19:12:48

I remember that it says upt to 2 on the cartons but is there a reason why they shouldn't have it? My ds has only had it since 1 when we have been away in hotels/b&bs with no fridge. We have a few nights in a pub b&b so wanted to get some cartons just for the mornings as he an early riser, and in the vague hope he may go to bed early and we can use the baby monitoring service last time we tried this (on our wedding night!) he screamed so much he was sick, very romantic.

hymenlover Fri 19-Aug-05 19:18:55

why can't you give him ordinary milk?
i ASSUME that it's because it's packed full of nutrients and vitamins etc etc that they just don't need when they're eating a proper diet....

jane313 Fri 19-Aug-05 19:21:40

Its just that I don't want to give him milk that will have been out of a fridge for 14 or so hours. I don't know how hot the room will be as and he may wake up at 5.30am.

Littlestarsweeper Fri 19-Aug-05 19:22:07

No I dont think so, i assume its because most try to wean off the milk/bottle thing by two years. I have to say it tastes pretty disgusting too.

Littlestarsweeper Fri 19-Aug-05 19:23:20

If worried try taking cooly bag with you that will keep it better than room temp.

WigWamBam Fri 19-Aug-05 19:23:24

Would he take UHT milk? I know it doesn't taste quite the same, but it would keep without being in the fridge.

Hayls Fri 19-Aug-05 19:23:42

I don't see any reason why you can't use it after 2. Presumably they don't 'need' the extra vitamins etc after that age so they should be drinking cows milk but it wouldn't do any harm.

Hymenlover, I think Jane313 does give cows milk but won't be able to because there won't be a fridge to store it in if she's away sow as asking if formula would be OK for the morning drink

Tinker Fri 19-Aug-05 19:24:58

There's no reason why can't have it. I know of someone who still gives it to her 3 year old

jane313 Fri 19-Aug-05 19:26:27

I think he drank uht in spain as thats was what t left for us in the apartment. Thats a good idea. I have a cool bag but I think I'm a bit paranoid about milk going off.

Thanks for all the speedy responses!

Hayls Fri 19-Aug-05 19:27:58

Sorry, lots of posts since I started writing mine!

Or how about a Thermos flask? You could go out last thing and buy a carton then fill it up. YOu might find that his routine will be shot anyway when you're away so he might not want the milk? I dunno, my dd has never drank milk!

Or try UHT milk?

LIZS Fri 19-Aug-05 19:36:54

I've known a friend use a Nestle one up until 5 ish ! don't think it woudl do any harm apart form the expense. We have also used small cartons of UHT when away or asked at hotel reception for some fresh.

jane313 Fri 19-Aug-05 19:37:56

He doesn't alwaas drink much anyway its just like a sort of comfort blanket for me. I am a terrible one for having things "just in case"

littlesteppers Fri 19-Aug-05 19:41:41

i think a cool bag with some ice blocks should work, if not i think the uht milk is a good idea

PeachyClair Fri 19-Aug-05 20:03:07

We just got back from camping without any use of a fridge, we used UHT for the milk drinker (2 year old has prescribed baby formula, lactose free) and that was fine, he loved it. Remember though- once out of the fridge treat as normal milk.

Can't the B&B owner lend you the use of her fridge?

Pollyanna Fri 19-Aug-05 20:33:10

my dd2 aged 2.5 likes to drink her baby sisters formula (aptamil) - it doesn't harm her. It tastes very sweet I think, but quite different to milk. Also, Aptamil have started doing a toddler formula too which comes ready mixed.

jane313 Sat 20-Aug-05 17:50:27

the b& b is in apub so not sure I owuls be allowed to go in the kitchen, also staying one night at a premier travel inn place. I found a travel fridge that was given to us but minus the mains attachment which is a shame!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now