Talk

Advanced search

Dinner party for 8 people + one veggie - HELP!

(11 Posts)
MummyJules Thu 18-Aug-05 23:02:42

I am having a dinner party for the mum's from my local toddler group. I am planning on cooking a recipe I found in the BBC Good Food Magazine which is chicken peices marinated in lemon and thyme cooked over paprika potatoes. I am planning on serving this with roasted vegetables and salad and I was wondering if anyone had a vegetarian recipe that I could cook for ease for one person and also if you have any other ideas on improving the menu - do you think roast veg is too much?
I was thinking of doing the no flour cake that Nigella Lawson does - is it good? and what would you serve with it if anything?

TIA

Jules

MummyJules Fri 19-Aug-05 10:55:33

BUMP!

cod Fri 19-Aug-05 10:57:08

Message withdrawn

mancmum Fri 19-Aug-05 11:17:25

I think it sounds lovely --- I would go with the idea of a bought veggie tart as it will go well with the salad and veggies... and is less fuss as I hate cooking a meal for 1 person...

Which flourless nigella cake are you doing -- I love love love her chocolate cloud cake but it is quite rich so I would serve very small slices with raspberries and creme fraiche to cut through the richness...

EnidfromtheVILLAGE Fri 19-Aug-05 11:18:06

I think you could do the roasted veggies as the veggy meal and just give the others the chicken potatoes and salad?

do you mean her clementine and almond cake?

EnidfromtheVILLAGE Fri 19-Aug-05 11:19:29

if you mean a choc one I agree about the raspberries and creme fraice

milward Fri 19-Aug-05 11:21:58

I'd get a quiche to save on the cooking time. I'm veggie and would be happy to have this with roasted veg & salad. Sounds lovely.

MummyJules Fri 19-Aug-05 11:26:33

Yes I mean the cloudless chocolate cake and it does sound perfect with the raspberries - Nigella uses whipped cream on the top of hers - has anyone tried that as I am not too keen on creme fraiche?

EnidfromtheVILLAGE Fri 19-Aug-05 11:28:03

yes whipped cream would be nice and if you want to be really decadent beat in some icing sugar and a bit of vanilla essence to the cream. You definitely need something with it as it is a bit dull otherwise.

EnidfromtheVILLAGE Fri 19-Aug-05 11:28:43

oh btw I did that spatchcocked chicken thing and it was a great success so thanks very much for that recipe! x E

craziehazie Fri 19-Aug-05 14:15:42

Nothing to beat good ol pavlova.Got this recipe from an old lady who used to shop in the supermarket I was working in and we were always nattering. This really is foolproof, follow this and it never fails.

3 egg whites
pinch salt
6oz caster sugar
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 teaspoon white vinegar.

Preheat oven to 130. Line your baking tray, I use a big ovenproof plate. Beat egg white on high speed for 5 mins. (Use a timer) Add half the sugar and beat again on high for 3 mins. Add remainder of sugar, salt and cornflour and beat on slower speed for 2 mins. Add vinegar and beat on slowest speed for 30 seconds. Pile onto plate and roughly shape into a circular shape, keep a good depth, maybe 3-4 inches. Bake for about 1hr, but check after 45 - 50 mins. Place on wire tray to cool. When cool decorate with fresh cream and fruit. Fresh raspberries are ideal because the tart flavour combines beautifully with the sugery taste of the meringue. If you have a serving plate 2-3 inches bigger than your pavlova then dust the edge of the plate lightly with icing sugar (easiest done before you put the pavlova on the plate to decorate) and then surround the pavalova with fresh raspberries.
Looks and tastes stunning!!! very very easy and I promise your guests will really love this. Enjoy your cooking.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: