Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got Delia's recipe for salad with toasted pitta bread?

(10 Posts)
copycat Thu 18-Aug-05 22:41:44

Sorry can't remember which recipe book it's in as I borrowed from a friend ... the pitta bread is served IN the salad. Anyone? Thank you.

popmum Thu 18-Aug-05 22:45:56

you could try delia website

copycat Fri 19-Aug-05 13:58:41

Thanks popmum but have already looked there and couldn't find it.

mancmum Fri 19-Aug-05 14:00:49

that is a popular salad recipe isn't it made with toasted pitta and loads of tomaatoes -- it has a name that escapes me .... quick google -- FATTOUSH!!

http://www.arabicslice.com/fattoush.html

NotQuiteCockney Fri 19-Aug-05 14:03:08

This sounds like a delia version of Fattoush, which is a traditional lebanese salad. Here's my recipe (off the top of my head):

- 1/2 cucumber, seeded + peeled, chopped (1/2 cm cubes?)
- 1 tomato, seeded, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded, chopped
- 4 radishes, chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 3tbsp fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 3 tbsp fresh mint, chopped fine

Dressing:
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon

Topping:
- 1 pita bread, split in half (to make 2 very thin pitas), or 1 tortilla, toasted, and broken up with your hands.

Add dressing to salad. You can leave it to sit for a bit. Add the pita/tortilla just before serving.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 19-Aug-05 14:04:25

Weird, no cinnamon in that recipe. Mine is from an Aussie cookbook, so possibly not authentic. Very tasty, though. It's the only salad my DS1 really really loves (the others, he mostly just eats croutons or bacon bits, and a bit of the veg).

mancmum Fri 19-Aug-05 14:06:27

think there are loads of recipes -- I used a nigella one that had sumac in it -- never had cinammon in a salad though -- am intruiged and will give it a go!

that was the first recipe I found -- might be worth googling for some more!

NotQuiteCockney Fri 19-Aug-05 14:10:33

Mine works very well. The quantities on the veg are quite flexible, obviously. The combination of cinnamon and the crunchy bread is really lovely.

Sumac is probably the authentic thing, but cinnamon is easier to get? I've not done anything with sumac, where do you get it?

mancmum Fri 19-Aug-05 14:15:24

I got it from a supermarket (sorry can not remember which one) but you can buy it online -- tastes nice --- fruity and sour...

try this place...

sumac

copycat Fri 19-Aug-05 23:04:53

Thanks! Didn't buy any radishes today but have all the other ingredients so I'll throw them together. Delia's recipe definitely does not have cinnamon - I would have remembered as it's an unusual salad ingredient and I love it too! Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now