Talk

Advanced search

Not a flounce per se but I am going under the name hereidrawtheline because of the DM issue

(18 Posts)
hereidrawtheline Fri 14-Aug-09 14:27:26

I just wanted to say - I have been posting here for years under mainly 3 different names used in succession. But I am really uncomfortable with the daily mail issue so I think I am going to name change and then post only what I need to i.e. on the special needs boards oh and style & beauty blush I love me some vicarious shopping.

This is not a reflection of MN posters really at all but just that I am extremely identifiable because of my blog and local life. And I dont want any little random thing I may say whether it be well or ill thought out printed in the daily mail. I need to have a place I can come and just relax and not agonise over making sure I say the right thing all the time. This has just changed things too much for me.

So I will still be here certainly as the SN board is invaluable to me but I dont plan on announcing on the main boards who I was or am or whatever or for that matter really posting at all anymore. I really hate the idea of me faffing about online being printed in the DM. And all the possible ramifications of that as well. It is just a step too far away from privacy & I have my family to consider.

But I want to say a huge thank you to the posters of MN - over the years you have all taught me more than you probably know and I'm not really going anywhere. But will probably namechange every couple of weeks. Which is annoying but RL takes precedence here.

So long and thanks for all the fish grin

amidaiwish Fri 14-Aug-09 14:30:30

hear hear.

i don't need to flounce as i doubt i am identifiable / nothing of interest, BUT it does make me feel a bit more wary and i certainly won't be posting anything very private incase it gets published.

i can't (be arsed) to read the massive thread about it, but is MN getting paid for this or is it just a journalist using MN as material?

llareggub Fri 14-Aug-09 14:34:18

The latter.

This has all been a very timely reminder about how public mumsnet is. I think we do tend to forget that this is the interweb and not a cosy club.

Mintyy Fri 14-Aug-09 21:40:08

Sadly I feel the same. Haven't quite decided what to do yet. If I stay, yours will be one of the names I'll miss Herei.

I think this will result in so many name- changes, at the very least, that Mumsnet will feel alien to a great swathe of posters. I think what Leah Hardy has done is a real shame sad and morally indefensible.

KingCanuteIAmAndTheDMCanFOff Fri 14-Aug-09 21:50:17

I have to admit I am kind of with you too - in fact I am thinking I need to sit back and see how things develop without posting for a while - the idea of being used in the papers in this way leaves me cold.

As has been said, I will miss you as a noticeable poster here. Hope life goes well for you and hope to see you again "publically" if this all gets sorted out smile

smackapacka Fri 14-Aug-09 22:01:28

llarreggub - I realised this week how public MN is when DH and I were googling 'cheap cowboy outfits'... A thread came up from MN about the lady blowdrying her ladybush (in AIBU) but made me LOL. I actually don't know how it was linked to our query, and why google thought it was relevant but just goes to show we're all out there being judged whilst we judge others!

piscesmoon Fri 14-Aug-09 22:16:29

I think I have missed something-what is the DM issue? Are they printing things?-is so what sort of thing? I don't like the sound of it.

Tortington Fri 14-Aug-09 22:18:53

DAILY MAIL SUCKS COCK

pickyvic Fri 14-Aug-09 22:19:14

pisces am wondering the same....

could someone please fill us in?

pickyvic Fri 14-Aug-09 22:20:00

lol custardo....wonder if the dm will print that! (somehow i think not.!)

Tortington Fri 14-Aug-09 22:21:13

course not - but i cant help thinking how many people are contributing to certain thread in hope that they will get published

arsewipes

piscesmoon Fri 14-Aug-09 22:22:15

What subjects have they published and in what way? Please tell someone.

IdontliveinaYurt Fri 14-Aug-09 22:24:44

Pieces - yes essentially
A weekly summary about what we have said
Summarised by an ex Mumsnetter shock
They didnt ask MNHQ permission to do this
Initially when MN discovered it they said it was ok - now I think there may be some backtracking now it is realised how many of us are seriously annoyed

I for one have undergone what I like to think of as a transitional name change, until I can think of better another one something else!

piscesmoon Fri 14-Aug-09 22:28:37

I know that it says that it is public, and I have seen things on a specific topic, but I didn't envisage the DM type thing. I post a load of drivel sometimes-especially if I get carried away on an argument! Probably time I joined OP and stopped.

SomeGuy Fri 14-Aug-09 22:30:07

oh well, as has been noted, you do need to be quite careful online.

Though I guess there are things that I've written that seem to be safely anonymous, but if my mum (or someone) read it in the Daily Mail (not that she reads the Daily Mail but the Torygraph would work) she'd sus me out, and I'd be rather mortified.

It is good free publicity though.

amidaiwish Sat 15-Aug-09 16:05:30

the outcry has been triggered by the recent article from the SN topic, where they have to post a lot of detail for their comments/issues to be understood and to help others. posters are very easily identified in RL.

the other time when it was about fake tan, no one was really that bothered, i mean who cares.

it just seems like nothing is private, certain topics or areas of the site should be made private at least.

NetworkGuy Sun 16-Aug-09 19:44:21

For piscesmoon

I guess you've seen the other threads now but part of the problem was a "This week on mumsnet" column that seems to have run for a couple of weeks (and MNHQ is going to contact the paper on Monday) without any contact with either individuals whose comments were quoted or MNHQ for permission.

Copyright generally allows 'fair use' for portions of a work to be copied but MN's T+C specifically block copying for commercial use without permission, and unless this journalist (*) is writing for the DM for free, she has ignored that restriction for a start, and the DM presumably didn't question the content.

(*) poor dab, she's given up booze for a year, so any stress she might suffer seeing comments on MN cannot be lowered with a few glasses of wine!

There was a thread sat in a cafe reading the DM where someone questioned the situation, and made people aware of items being 'lifted'.

Searching for MN came up with a few sites linking to articles in papers etc which have mentioned MN. NewsNow.co.uk only tracks headlines for a few weeks, but NewsTIN.com searches whole pages. In a post on the 'cafe' thread I also linked to some other site which tracks use of the forum, lists top posting usernames and subjects, but sorry, have forgotten the site name.

piscesmoon Mon 17-Aug-09 07:54:59

I looked for the other threads and also looked at DM on line. It seems a lazy way of doing an article! It wasn't as bad as I feared-it is only my long posts with personal experience that I wouldn't want to see in print and I don't think they would use them-too rambling!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now