Talk

Advanced search

After the recent hacks I'm deactivating my account.

(19 Posts)
Kasterborous Thu 20-Aug-15 09:56:12

I appreciate it's not Mumsnets fault, but it's the second time it's happened and I have too many other passwords to remember so I'm off.

ImperialBlether Thu 20-Aug-15 10:13:44

Oh for god's sake.

Think of any password eg abcd1234

Change your name on here and change your postcode and real name etc

Then you're sorted.

There's no reason to leave. Your financial details are not on here. You can't be traced. If anyone even got into that email address, what would they find? Nothing!

You are over-reacting.

seanbonbon Thu 20-Aug-15 10:18:00

Yes, this is what these arseholes wanted to happen. No way should we let them be successful, fuck that.

howtorebuild Thu 20-Aug-15 10:23:49

Yes change to a new email.

wickedlazy Thu 20-Aug-15 10:26:24

Didn't know there was a flouncers corner smile

Fugghetaboutit Thu 20-Aug-15 10:28:10

How odd confused wow a hacker has access to my (anonymous) posts about kids, MILs, wedding lists, how many times a day we wash our towels. Who gives a shit.

PrimalLass Thu 20-Aug-15 10:30:35

Whatever. It's not hard to change your password and write it in your diary (etc.)

sugar21 Thu 20-Aug-15 10:32:20

This is precisely what the hacker is trying to do. He cannot gain any personal details just a password and e-mail. Please don't let a wanking spotty geeky teenager win

G1veMeStrength Thu 20-Aug-15 10:32:30

I have to remember all my own passwords AND all of MILs. And go to work and raise kids and all that stuff. It is possible wink

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 20-Aug-15 10:33:20

I really don't get this
But hey, if you won't miss it then go for it. Personally I like mumsnet so I'm staying.

GarminGirl Thu 20-Aug-15 10:44:56

Omg.... Really??

So many posters behaving like this. As if they are someone important lol

MorrisZapp Thu 20-Aug-15 10:49:41

You're leaving because you don't want to change your password?

Your choice but seems a bit bonkers to me.

DarylDixonsDarlin Thu 20-Aug-15 10:54:45

Thinking of doing the same. But of course I won't wink

Just a bit pissed off that it has happened again, and all the arse licking sympathy for what a hard time the MNHQ team must be having hmmits their job, they aren't running the site as volunteers are they? and just like any other job sometimes you are under pressure, sometimes its easier, thems the breaks. (Swat team stuff aside, of course, that's horrendous obviously)

Now this morning I still couldn't log in, and theres another forced password reset today by the looks of it? Great that's pretty annoying after I reset mine yesterday already.

GarminGirl Thu 20-Aug-15 10:56:13

Password reset is pretty minor in the scheme of things. Really it is

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 20-Aug-15 11:03:14

Do you not have a notebook? You could just write them down in there. But try not to log on to hackersnet and post a photo of it. Because that would be risky.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 20-Aug-15 11:04:55

"Waaah! I have to remember a new password" is this the ULTIMATE first world problem? While at the same time being ironically the most backward thing ever posted?

I really can't get the angst when you have posted stuff online that's there for all to see.

DarylDixonsDarlin Thu 20-Aug-15 11:04:56

I know Garmin that's why I haven't flounced smile its just a minor annoyance for us general users, and it will be forgotten about by the time kids go back to school...I've only popped in today to see what the current news on it is. I think I'll leave mine til the end of the week before resetting again and hopefully the storm will have passed. Does that count as a mini flounce? grin

brew

greenhill Sat 05-Sep-15 15:05:29

And then the hackers will have won angry

So a man decides to interfere with a mainly female site and because of having to reset a password long term posters decide to let him win, by not using their favourite site anymore confused

Hopefully he'll have a police record/ prison sentence for wasting police time for the swatting incident alone, never mind the disruption to the website.

IKnowIAmButWhatAreYou Tue 08-Sep-15 14:21:30

It's a bit deeper than some of you are making out to be fair.

Personally I use a totally separate email, username and password to any other site because MN's approach to security is fucking atrocious and I don't want anyone to be able to sniff out RL details from here.

99% of people (normal people) using the site will have used their normal email address - which is now compromised & linked to whatever they've posted - employment, relationships, legal queries etc as well as "mums" stuff hmm so I totally understand where the OP is coming from...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »