Talk

Advanced search

Baby fish!!

(8 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 01-Jun-08 22:33:04

We got 3 mollies a few weeks ago - I knew they were live bearers but didnt actually expect anything. We did get a maternity tank just in case.
I really hadnt noticed any pregnant ones but just spotted 3 fry hiding near the filter. I guess the rest got eaten. Managed to get them into the maternity tank without any fuss. Was that the right thing to do?
Also whats the best thing to feed them and ermmm am I likely to end up being over run with mollies if this continues? the fry are very sweet but its a 2 foot tank.

Tis very cool though

LuckySalem Sun 01-Jun-08 22:34:18

Yes you will be over-run with them. If I were you (this may sound cruel) I'd keep these as you are but any more that are born just leave them in the tank and the strongest will survive.

As for food - give them the same as you give the other fish.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 01-Jun-08 22:43:39

Thats what I was thinking - tis nature in our house and anyway the rest got eaten (and I bet the other fish really enjoyed them (the greedy little pigs!))
I'm glad I don't have to give them anything different food wise - thanks

bamzooki Mon 02-Jun-08 14:33:40

This is why we gave up with livebearers - population explosion, and I certainly did not favour the fry, but I think the vegetation levels in our tank made for too many hidyholes! grin
Course then we had Kribs, and when they laid eggs which hatched, it seemed so fab, esp watching the way the parents protected them and took them out on picnics to different areas of the tank. But gradually it dawned on me that we now had upward of about 80 fish to deal with!
So now all my fish are celibate!!! wink

bamzooki Mon 02-Jun-08 14:35:06

But if you can manage some sort of polutaion control you could view the fry as free food!!

<heartless emoticon>

bamzooki Mon 02-Jun-08 14:35:52

*Population.

Must proof read more.. blush

nickytwotimes Mon 02-Jun-08 14:36:59

We had guppies that bred like billie-oh!
They kind of reached an optimum number though.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 02-Jun-08 19:54:48

80 fish!!!
/faints!

tis quality free food grin have explained to dd its how we make sure we get fit healthy fish by letting all the weedy ones get eaten. So these 3 are the only ones we are protecting.

We did have guppies a few months back but they all died within a couple of weeks of getting them. Rest of fish were fine. Bit odd really.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »