Talk

Advanced search

A baby catfish has appeared in my tank

(10 Posts)
DownRightAmazing Thu 18-Jul-19 13:50:10

I'm a novice fish owner, I have a 60l tank which has been going since January with some guppies, a few tetra, some shrimp and two catfish. The tank is stable and everyone is happy.

Today as I was passing by I spotted a baby catfish! I had no idea one of my adults was pregnant, they haven't changed size noticeably and I haven't done anything different.

What do I need to do for the baby? I don't have a spare tank to put him in, he is about 2cm long so hopefully too big to be eaten by any of the others. Will he eat the sinking nuggets like his parents? They are the smallest ones I think. Does he need different food?

We have plenty of hiding spaces and objects - is he likely to be the only one or are there more in there???

percheron67 Thu 18-Jul-19 13:58:37

I wish I could give advice other than to say contact your local aquatic shop and ask them. Hope the little one survives.

stillawakeat4amagain Thu 18-Jul-19 14:29:34

What type of catfish is it?
Most are egg layers so the mother would have laid the eggs and the father would have fertilised them after they were laid. They usually lay more than 50 eggs.
With what you have in the tank its should be safe enough for him. For food I would use granuals or flake food, jmc catfish pellets or some bloodworm, (if its a bristle nose catfish then a slice of cucumber or a bit of lettuce, but remove any uneaten after 2 days)

stillawakeat4amagain Thu 18-Jul-19 14:34:14

Could you get a pic of the baby please, it maybe the guppy as their fry go down to hide in the gravel.

DownRightAmazing Thu 18-Jul-19 14:35:27

@stillawakeat4amagain thanks! I will attach pictures of the adult catfish - I'm not sure what type they are?

Also these are the two foods we currently have - what do you think? We have a Pets at Home locally which I could get to today but I usually go to a branch of Maidenhead Aquatics - where the fish are all from - but wouldn't be able to get there until tomorrow morning. What would you recommend? I'm a bit out of my depth!

He seems to be hiding in a train ornament that we have (which is generally only frequented by shrimp) and coming out staying undercover and near to the gravel - he is super cute!

ErrolTheDragon Thu 18-Jul-19 14:38:09

Hopefully it's too big to be eaten by the guppies, they're the reason their fry tend to hide!

DownRightAmazing Thu 18-Jul-19 14:38:36

Pics attached plus best shot of baby - the plastic thing is a snail trap (can't use chemicals coz we have shrimp) - he is not stuck under there, I think he likes the shelter.

stillawakeat4amagain Thu 18-Jul-19 15:09:40

Yeah he's too big to be eaten now. They are corydorus some catfish pellets or bloodworm even a small bit of red meat is good for them. But again take it out after 2 days. The shrimp would love it too. Cory's are mostly scavengers anyway tbh so will eat anything that drops down onto the bottom, but need high protein diets. If you don't want more fry then I suggest taking one of the adults or maybe both (keep the baby) back to maidenhead they will give you 1/3rd of what they are worth in a credit voucher, because once they have paired up they will keep breeding you can have 50 to 150 eggs a month.

DownRightAmazing Thu 18-Jul-19 15:36:44

Very reassuring thank you. I will defiantly talk to MA about the best way to progress - the baby is lovely but the tank is only 60l and the catfish are far and away our biggest fish, we can't keep having more of them! It's good to know I don't need to do anything urgently today.

I'm pleased that our tank is so hospitable!

stillawakeat4amagain Thu 18-Jul-19 15:59:47

Yeah it's obviously having food because it's grown alot so no need to worry about it tbh
They look like little tadpoles when they first come out sh he's grown alot he's probably about 1 month old

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »