Talk

Advanced search

55l tank for 2 goldfish?

(6 Posts)
fairybeagle Fri 24-May-19 08:20:21

Hi, just wondering if a 55 litre tank would be ok for two goldfish, or should I just get one?
Also, do they need a friend or can you keep them as an only? Thanks

Disco3000 Fri 24-May-19 08:25:37

They need friends, so don't just get one. As for tank size, they recommend 42 gallons or 152 litres!

From experience they grow a lot and I rehomed my 12 year old goldfish to a pond. He lived in a 3 ft tank and it really wasn't big enough. Weekly cleaning is also hard work.

I'd seriously think about getting goldfish as they are hard work. I'm never getting fish again! Too stressful!

fedup2017 Fri 24-May-19 08:29:37

Are you set on goldfish? They get quite big when fully grown hence the tank size issues.
If you wanted something smaller a Siamese fighting fish likes being alone, has some personality and need s a smaller (although still decent sized) tank. Plus they are beautiful. You'll need a tank heater though

fedup2017 Fri 24-May-19 08:34:52

This is ours....

fairybeagle Fri 24-May-19 08:54:44

Thanks for the advice, wow that is a massive tank! Defo couldn't fit it.
@fedup2017 what a beautiful fish! Are they easy to keep? What sort of temperature do they need?
I was attracted to goldfish as I thought they were easy to keep 🙈

fedup2017 Fri 24-May-19 09:08:37

Tbh I am no expert! ( Feel a bit of a fraud for venturing onto the fishnet part of mumsnet.)!
It is actually ds/DH s fish. The tank needs to be heated, it's planted up with real plants and is cleaned out weekly ( takes DH 10 mins or so). When ds wanted a fish we got this one rather than a goldfish as did some research andit seemed more straight forward.
If you Google fighting fish/Betta keeping there is loads online.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »