Talk

Advanced search

Should I separate froglets from tadpoles?

(5 Posts)
ThomasRichard Fri 10-May-19 16:03:38

I have tadpoles in a tank for the DC to observe while they’re transforming into frogs. They’ll go back out to the pond afterwards but it’s not ready yet (big garden project). Some of the tadpoles are looking decidedly froggy and I’ve read that they shouldn’t be fed once they have front legs as they need to eat their tails. But I still need to feed the less-developed tadpoles... Does anyone know if I need to separate them into a different tank?

ThomasRichard Thu 16-May-19 11:32:22

For anyone who might ask the same question in future: yes, they need to be separated. The tadpoles attacked and ate two froglets before I evacuated the others. I’m keeping an eye on the tadpoles and moving them to join the froglets as soon as they get front legs.

Stayawayfromitsmouth Thu 16-May-19 11:34:32

Ah. Good luck. No advice but sounds like a lovely project. 🐸

le1la Thu 16-May-19 11:36:38

The tadpoles ate the froglets?! Vicious little buggers. This is absolutely fascinating - thank you for updating. I learnt something new today smile

ThomasRichard Fri 17-May-19 14:22:44

Yes they did! I thought the tadpoles might eat each other or the frogs might attack the tadpoles but no, it was the other way around. There were 4 or 5 tadpoles absolutely ripping a froglet apart (very dead by the time I saw it) and they stripped every bit of flesh from the bones. I had no idea they would do that!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »