Talk

Advanced search

Considering re-setting up tank - low maintenance ideas

(12 Posts)
Forevertired1 Sun 14-Oct-18 12:50:46

Thanks fluffywuffyunicorn, yes, I've had gravel before and sand is definitely easier to clean. Definitely don't want any more livebearers, dud have harlequin terra before and they were pretty hardy and easy to look after. Haven't thought about corys before, will look into those, thanks.

Thanks very much little potatoes, I'll definitely look at that as an option. My tank is an Askoll that has an inbuilt filtration system.

littlepotatoes Sat 13-Oct-18 16:10:11

I’d also second an external filter and put a bag of seachem purigen in it. Virtually eliminates water changes once your bacterial filter is set up

littlepotatoes Sat 13-Oct-18 16:08:50

@Forevertired1 things like oscars are great without because they’re so distructive. Most cichlids are more than happy. Anything really except bottom dwelling fish like corys are fine really. Most of the bacteria will be in your filter so you don’t need to worry

Fluffywuffyunicorn Thu 11-Oct-18 21:48:43

Since getting an external filter we don't have to do as many water changes.

I'd probably understock the tank if you are wanting low mentaince. I'd avoid the usual live bearer as they reproduce at a fast rate! And I'd opt for a sand substrate instead of gravel.

Maybe some corys, different types of tetras (rummy nose, zebras, neons), a couple of Siamese algae eaters.

Forevertired1 Thu 11-Oct-18 21:18:11

Wow, your turtle is super cute, hammock!

littlepotatoes, in all honesty, I've never considered a tank without substrate. I thought it was needed for bacteria? Are there any fish in particular that like a bare bottom tank?

littlepotatoes Thu 11-Oct-18 12:56:24

Or go for fish but with a bare bottom tank? That makes the vacuum cleaning much easier

Conseulabananahammock Thu 11-Oct-18 12:53:31

They are very cute too grin

Conseulabananahammock Thu 11-Oct-18 12:39:17

You don't necessarily need the water to be low. You can buy floating turtle docks so they just sit on top of whatever water level. I'll post some pics of my set up later on and give you a brief idea of what sort of thing you need.

Forevertired1 Thu 11-Oct-18 11:50:56

Ooh, turtles, i hadn't thought of that. Thanks! I would have to do more investigation to see if our tank is suitable though, it's an Askoll pure xl with inbuilt filtration system, so I would need to do some googling to see if that will work, and with a lower water level. Do you need use a water heater? We have one but it needs the water level to be high

Conseulabananahammock Thu 11-Oct-18 11:28:50

I water change once a month. The external filter does most of the work.

Conseulabananahammock Thu 11-Oct-18 11:28:07

Ooh completely going to throw a curve ball here but how about turtles?we changed our fish tank to a turtle tank. They are so charismatic. You can get them out of the tank aswel. Can get you pictures and more details if you want?pretty low maintenance. External filter sand and a place they can get out and bask under the tank lights

Forevertired1 Thu 11-Oct-18 11:24:44

Hi everyone. I had a 100 L tank running for a couple of years with platies, gouramis, roaches. When we moved 2 years ago, there were only 3 fish left so I gave them to a friend who had a tank and we didn't set up our tank again in the new house, but kept it.

I work from home and feel quite lonely, and am also depressed. I think a lot about pets, and like the idea of having fish again but am not sure.... I found it difficult to clean and change the water regularly, and am struggling to keep on top of housework now as it is. I worry that if I set up the tank again, i will regret the added 'chore' of tank-cleaning.

Not sure what I'm asking really... I guess I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for low maintenance fish or tank set-ups? I still have the tank, substrate (sand, still in the tank, probably needs a wash), accessories, but the pump was a bit dodgy so may need a new one. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »