Talk

Advanced search

Hand hood please... poor fish

(8 Posts)
PatchworkElmer Tue 04-Sep-18 12:40:32

Absolutely devastated- our 15 year old fantail has been off colour for the last 2 days. This morning, he was at the bottom of his tank, not moving. He’s now at the bottom, on his side, breathing very quickly.

I’m so sad. It’s awful seeing him suffer and not being able to help. I’ve called DH and he’s going to drop off some medicine on his lunch break, but realistically I think that the fish is going to die this afternoon. There’s nothing I can do to ease the suffering, is there?

Hoping to find some people on here who will understand how much a part of or family he is. The toddler has spent all morning stroking the glass next to the fish, and saying “aaah” 💔

strawberrypenguin Tue 04-Sep-18 12:43:42

Sorry, it does sound like he's on his way out.
It's probably an expensive option but would the vet euthanise if it looks like he's going to take a while to go and is suffering. I know years ago our local vet did that for one of our big koi.

PatchworkElmer Tue 04-Sep-18 13:30:32

Thanks strawberrypenguin I’ll see what DH thinks and then contact some vets. This is just awful.

PatchworkElmer Tue 04-Sep-18 15:21:00

He’s just died. Taking the toddler to a garden centre to buy a plant for the garden. Am so sad, but at least he didn’t suffer for days.

downinthejunglee Tue 04-Sep-18 15:36:48

I'm so sorrythanks

strawberrypenguin Tue 04-Sep-18 19:24:35

I'm sorry @PatchworkElmer losing a beloved pet is always horrible. At least he went quickly in the end without suffering. thanks

PatchworkElmer Tue 04-Sep-18 19:26:06

Thank you. Have just buried him under a dahlia bush. DH has just tentatively suggested getting some new fish (this fish had been on his own for some time, because we were concerned about introducing new stock when he was so elderly). I really don’t want any more at the moment. His empty tank is making me sad though 💔

JurassicGirl Tue 04-Sep-18 19:28:03

So sorry sad x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »