Talk

Advanced search

Stocking ideas for 150L tropical tank

(17 Posts)
NualaCassia Fri 15-Jun-18 11:22:44

Exciting stuff... picked up my new 150 litre tank today so I will be setting that up this weekend to start cycling. I’ll give it a little kick start using media from my 4 established Betta tanks. I have a 1200 L/H external canister filter.

While the cycle is getting established I want to start making a list of stocking ideas.

What fish should I look at, any cool looking centrepiece fish I should research? Anything you’d recommend?

Karmin Fri 15-Jun-18 12:13:47

What kind of tank is it going to be?

NualaCassia Fri 15-Jun-18 21:05:07

It’s going to be a freshwater, tropical tank. I’m looking at stocking with a peaceful community.

Spent ages in the fish store yesterday looking at all the different fish. I’ve got my heart set on some panda corys which I think will work well. I’ve got sand substrate and 2 huge pieces of driftwood currently soaking. Will be getting lots of plants too.

TodaysFishIsTroutALaCreme Fri 15-Jun-18 21:13:04

I have harlequin rasboros (amongst others) and I love them. I recently added to the shoal and now have 15. My "feature" fish are bosemani rainbow fish. I have peppered corys which line up at the front of the tank when they want feeding grin

NualaCassia Fri 15-Jun-18 21:47:38

Oh I love the Harlequin Rasbora’s. Will definitely have a proper look at them.

How big do the rainbows get? Would I be able to have 2 in my tank or do they need to be in bigger groups?

TodaysFishIsTroutALaCreme Sat 16-Jun-18 09:40:03

I have 3 in my 250l tank and could easily fit in a lot more. They are not huge. I think mine are fully grown now. They just need to develop their colours.

TodaysFishIsTroutALaCreme Sat 16-Jun-18 09:43:50

They will grow to about 4.5 inches. My big one is about 4 now.

TodaysFishIsTroutALaCreme Sat 16-Jun-18 09:44:32

Some of my harlequins

NualaCassia Sat 16-Jun-18 11:13:22

Oh they look lovely and I love the harlequins. I’ll definitely add both to my list and check out my local fish store.

bunnygeek Mon 18-Jun-18 13:41:05

I have 8 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish in my 200 litre, if you're concerned about the size of the larger Boesemani.

ChuckyHereToPlay Fri 22-Mar-19 14:39:14

In my 200L I have 2 dwarf gouramis, a red fin black shark (these can be aggressive, mine isn't), 6 panda corys, group of cardinals, group of rummy nose, 6 guppys, and a vampire shrimp. Search for aquarium stocking calculator, that's a big help in how many fish you can get and compatibility

SpeedofaSloth Sun 24-Mar-19 00:31:56

I would love corys, but my filter won't support a sand substrate. If I was starting a new tank I would have sand for this reason only!
Also, congo frogs because DD loves them.

NewFoneWhoDis Wed 10-Apr-19 15:24:08

Our last tank we had black harlequin rastboras. They are stunning fish that live happily in a peaceful community.

And we had green neon tetras. Really eye catching.

elQuintoConyo Wed 10-Apr-19 21:04:58

Nothing to add, but I saw this on active threads and thought you were looking for small gifts for a fish's Christmas stocking gringrin

I'll get my coat...

tilder Wed 10-Apr-19 21:07:56

I thought exactly the same thing elQuintoConyo!

elQuintoConyo Wed 10-Apr-19 22:26:41

grin

NotSoThinLizzy Wed 10-Apr-19 22:37:28

I love bristle nose plecs, only get to 6 inches but not everyone loves them. kuhli loach are pretty cool very entertaining

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »