Talk

Advanced search

More fish-ues

(9 Posts)
mishfish Sat 28-Apr-18 09:47:39

So, massive ammonia spike after toddler poured an entire tub of flakes in a 34 litre tank. Let 2 tetras, 2 snails and a frog

A few weeks later a big ammonia spike due to dead frog I hadn’t noticed

That was a few weeks ago, tank doesn’t stink anymore but will be getting water tested today

The fighter fish is hanging at the bottom of the tank a lot. He also appears to have chewed half his tail off. I’m very worried about him sad. We also have a pest snail problem so have recently introduced some assassins

TheDisreputableDog Sat 28-Apr-18 09:52:00

Suggest 50% water change and buy a bottle of Terra Safe Start which will help boost the bacteria colony.

mishfish Sat 28-Apr-18 17:36:31

I did a big change yesterday and added some water conditioner, but will do another today. I noticed the pump was jammed and not pumping out water which may have been the issue. It’s quite strong now so hopefully the little sod cheers up

mishfish Mon 30-Apr-18 14:22:19

I went to the fish shop yesterday after a 30% water change and quick start added to tank. They said there’s a trace of ammonia in the tank that’s affecting the little sod. I bought some ammonia absorber filter and additional filter foam stuff for the tank and some moss balls. I’ve done a 30% change today but have just had a thought.

My neighbour had a 3ft long tropical tank- would it help to steal some of his water?

mishfish Mon 30-Apr-18 14:39:26

Or ask if I could move the fish into his temoarily? He has a load of guppies and a big pleco type thing

TheDisreputableDog Mon 30-Apr-18 15:39:38

If only had a trace of ammonia you're on the right track. Another 25% water change and add some more quick start should help breakdown the ammonia further and kick start the nitrogen cycle.

Adding water from another tank could do more harm than good. Risk of disease etc.

mishfish Fri 18-May-18 21:03:03

Just an update on our tank. We couldn’t keep on top of the ammonia and our Betta developed dropsy, lost most of his colouring, scales became spiked, wouldn’t feed, lost half of his tail and would barely move so we took him to the aquatics shop where they put him to sleep. I am so upset. He was honestly like the puppy of fish- he was the sweetest little thing. We STILL have ammonia in the tank but everything else seems ok. I’m so gutted

AliBingo Tue 19-Jun-18 04:02:51

Just came across your thread. Sorry to hear about the SFF. Do you have any fish left? Ammo lock is good stuff to use in the circumstances as it converts the ammonia to a less toxic form, an ammonium salt I think. It's still there and needs to be broken down by the filter but you get a bit of breathing space. Also, keep going with frequent partial water changes. Good luck, hope you get it all sorted soon.

Lightning88 Sat 14-Jul-18 06:40:19

Aqua pure balls. Those things will help break down the ammonia. I had a spike when my tank was a month old and they worked wonders. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »