Talk

Advanced search

fin rot white spot?

(13 Posts)
violentvioletx Mon 11-Apr-16 08:09:58

Hi All, recently had a severe case of finrot type symptoms in our goldfish tank, unfortunately all the goldfish passed away sad am aiming to clean the whole tank all the ornaments etc, however we have 2 plecos in the same tank that are still alive, they don't seem to be showing any sign of illness but not really sure how to proceed. The plan was to clear tank, allow it to cycle for 7-10 days, then slowly add new fish, but don't want them to become ill as well if the pleco is carrying the disease. Any advice will be massively appreciated.

violentvioletx Mon 11-Apr-16 16:46:45

Shameless bump

TreeSparrow Mon 11-Apr-16 16:52:57

What species of pleco?
What size tank?

violentvioletx Mon 11-Apr-16 17:23:10

Hong Kong pleco, 100 litre tank

TreeSparrow Tue 12-Apr-16 08:12:53

That's not a pleco. That's a hillstream loach and isn't suited to your setup. Check this out:

www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=5455

violentvioletx Tue 12-Apr-16 08:22:41

They have all lived quite happily together for years

TreeSparrow Tue 12-Apr-16 12:19:35

Happily? How do you assess that in a fish?

violentvioletx Tue 12-Apr-16 20:51:51

Despite the derailing talking about happy/unhappy plecos, they are now in a new clean tank with new filter gravel ornaments etc to avoid any chance of being re infected by the disease. There are no other fish in the tank. Water has had tap safe put in and is up to room temperature. Air stone and filter been running to clear out any loose bits fro gravel.
Should I do large water changed every day with tap safe whilst the filter is cycling.

TreeSparrow Wed 13-Apr-16 16:53:02

You're asking questions about the welfare of your "pleco" (it's not a pleco). I wouldn't say I was derailing your thread.

So now your tank is completely uncycled? You're making the situation worse :-(

Fish in cycling is extremely stressful on the inhabitants. You need an ammonia/ nitrite/nitrate test kit to ensure the levels are within safe limits and you need to them change water according to the test results.

violentvioletx Wed 13-Apr-16 18:58:56

So what was the alternative leave them in the tank infected with white spot? It's called a Hong Kong plecos regardless of whether it's a loach or pleco that's what it's called

TreeSparrow Wed 13-Apr-16 20:02:19

The alternative was to treat the tank for an ich outbreak without losing your cycle.

TreeSparrow Wed 13-Apr-16 20:03:30

Was it white spot or fin rot? They're very different.

violentvioletx Wed 13-Apr-16 20:21:12

We had been treating for over 10 days with no improvement the initial symptoms resembled white spot the final days resembled fin rot there was no clear separation of the two even when I took one of the fish to our local fish shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now