Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

300ltr tank, what would you put in it?

(15 Posts)
Nevergoingtolearn Thu 22-Oct-15 18:28:07

After taking a few months off of keeping fish I am now bidding on a tank on eBay ( fingers crossed I get it ), I have only really kept small/cheap fish so would like something a bit different. Tank is 4ft, 300ltr, I will be running a external filter on it and my water is quite hard.

What fish should I put in it?

TreeSparrow Thu 22-Oct-15 20:06:51

Malawi or Tanganyika cichlids. Perfect for hard water and that size tank should give you some options.

TreeSparrow Thu 22-Oct-15 20:08:52

Be aware that this would give you an aggressive set up mind you. You'd need to monitor and mediate behaviour. They're not for everyone.

Nevergoingtolearn Fri 23-Oct-15 07:45:04

I like Malawi but I do worry about their aggressive nature, am I better buying babies so they grow up together?

I would love Discus, my local aquatic shop have some that have been raised in hard water but I am unsure as they are meant to be soft water fish.

TreeSparrow Fri 23-Oct-15 08:18:18

If you're not keen on aggressive fish I'd recommend avoiding. It won't make any difference if they are reared young together. They need to be kept over-stocked to prevent territory squabbles.

Discus are soft water, high maintenance fish. It'd be unusual to find hard water reared types so I'd be cautious about this. Test water in the shop and at home and compare first. Most people keep them in RO water.

Nevergoingtolearn Mon 26-Oct-15 07:42:20

I have decided to do a planted tank, tank is coming today grin at least planting it will keep me busy whist its cycling and give me time to research what fish to add. Hopefully it will be up and running before Christmas.

TreeSparrow Mon 26-Oct-15 08:30:31

Excellent choice. I have a 350 litre planted. So rewarding when everything grows in.

Nevergoingtolearn Mon 26-Oct-15 17:30:55

I have ordered a selection of plants from various places, fingers crossed they will grow over the next few weeks whilst the tank is cycling, last time I attempted planting a tank my fish dug the plants up as the plants were so tiny, at least doing it this way I can let the plants grow in before adding any fish. I'm feeling very excited now, tank is coming tonight so I shall be busy.

TreeSparrow Wed 28-Oct-15 18:23:42

Sounds good. It's always wise to allow plants to grow in fully before adding any fish that might dig or sift the substrate.

Any more thoughts on stocking?

Nevergoingtolearn Wed 28-Oct-15 19:14:40

I think I might stick some tetras in to begin with, I'm a bit warry sticking anything to expensive in to a newly set up tank, so plan will be to get it planted, let the plants grow for a few weeks whilst the tank cycles, stick some tetras in and then probably wait until after Christmas before adding anything else.

TreeSparrow Thu 29-Oct-15 08:50:01

Are you cycling using ammonia? If so you can fully stock the tank in one go when it's ready. That way you won't get ammonia spikes that are possible when gradually adding groups of fish.

Otherwise nothing wrong with a gradual introduction. Just keep tabs on those ammonia and nitrite readings as you go along.

Nevergoingtolearn Thu 29-Oct-15 08:53:56

I'm cycling with fish food. People keep telling me to cycle with some cheap fish but it seems a bit mean, I am hoping when my friend gets back from her holiday I can pinch some media from her filter.

TreeSparrow Thu 29-Oct-15 20:00:57

It's much easier, quicker, and more accurate with a fishless cycle - dosing controlled amounts of pure ammonia (available at every chemist). Are you testing the water? Fish food method works but you don't know how effective it has been until you add fish. I personally wouldn't risk it. Cycling with fish in is very cruel when there is a safe alternative that's quicker. My tanks all cycled within 3wks.

Nevergoingtolearn Fri 30-Oct-15 10:53:16

Today's water test, do I need to up the ammonia ?

TreeSparrow Sat 31-Oct-15 21:47:01

What are the readings? I can't read them off the photo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now