Talk

Advanced search

Fish tank help

(5 Posts)
IamTheWhoreofBabylon Thu 11-Jun-15 15:15:57

i had a little 50l cold water tank
I wanted to give my fish a better home so bought a second hand 80l tank and sold my small tank
We had a disaster last weekend when it started leaking
I bought a new and expensive tank in a hurry. 80l seemed hard to find so I gave now got a 120l tank omg its massive
It has a heater and I wondered if I should go tropical
Is it harder to look after tropical than cold water?
Could my fish go into a tropical tank, I have shrimp (I love my shrimp) and I have seen them in tropical tanks
I have 3 that look like small goldfish with a black spot, are they danios?
And I have white cloud minnows
TIA

EauRouge Thu 11-Jun-15 20:45:57

Ooh, 120L, lucky you smile It must seem big in comparison to the first one but I bet your fish are loving it.

Your gold fish with the black spot- are they these or these? If the former then you're in luck, they are lovely fish and they stay fairly small. If the latter then they are pond fish and will need to be moved.

How many minnows do you have? They like to be in a large group of 6+. Same with gold barbs if that's what you have.

Minnows are fine in an unheated tank (as are gold barbs) as long as the room temperature doesn't drop too low. In most houses they will be fine but if you live in a drafty house or a very old one that gets cold at night then it might be worth using the heater. About 20C would be right for those species.

I wouldn't add any more species of fish, those two species (and the shrimp) will fill that tank pretty well. Minnows are very active and like lots of space to zip around.

IamTheWhoreofBabylon Thu 11-Jun-15 21:19:17

They are rosy barb I've just googled them
It does look enormous and will give them a good space
Could my fish and shrimp go in a tropical tank?

EauRouge Thu 11-Jun-15 21:23:55

They are temperate rather than tropical, so they will be fine at room temperature- they don't need tropical temperatures. Rosy barbs are pretty adaptable and minnows are tough little fish but I'd probably just bump up the shoal numbers a bit and stick with the two species. Their colours will be more intense and their behaviour more natural in larger shoals.

IamTheWhoreofBabylon Thu 11-Jun-15 22:14:15

Thanks I will do that and they can have a spacious new home

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now