Talk

Advanced search

Curved Platy

(7 Posts)
ItsMeMario Mon 25-May-15 15:33:52

Pics

ItsMeMario Mon 25-May-15 15:43:31

I have a poorly platy sad

She is not her normal self and has gone very thin. What is most worrying is that she is curving in on herself. I consulted Dr Google and it suggested fish tb and now I am very worried although she doesn't have lesions nor has she gone pale. I currently have her separated while i set up qt tank.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be please?

Ftr my tank is 240ltr and water parameters when checked before 20% water change today were

We have had no additions to the tank for quite a while. All other fish are happy and content and feeding well. The only new thing is we have been adding liquid carbon to the tank.

That is all i can think of really. Thanks guys.

EauRouge Mon 25-May-15 18:18:06

Oh, poor thing sad How old is she? Platys aren't very long-lived and a fish's immune system drops off as they get old.

It could be TB, so I would be cautious about sticking your hands in the tank just in case (no open wounds and careful hygiene afterwards), but there are other things it could be as well. It could be an internal bacterial infection, or possibly some kind of protozoan. Maybe worms even. Are there any other symptoms at all? Is she eating at all? Pooping OK?

ItsMeMario Mon 25-May-15 21:31:25

Thanks eau.

I have only had her for 6 months. She was a prolific bearer for the first 4 months but nothing since. She is not huge so am only assuming she is not that old. My other females are all up duffed.

She is making an attempt to eat, but is just spitting it back out. In her qt tank she seems quite active and her body seems straight again now but she is very very skinny compared to how she was. Will be able to assess the poop if I can persuade her to eat. I really dont know how to make her better. And she is my favourite sad

EauRouge Mon 25-May-15 21:56:26

Could you try tempting her with a bit of live food?

ItsMeMario Mon 25-May-15 22:57:50

Ooh, good call. Will pick some up tomorrow if she makes it through the night

TreeSparrow Sat 30-May-15 10:54:46

To be brutally honest, at the point the fish starts to refuse food it's time to euthanize. They very rarely come back at that stage and weaken rapidly. For the sake of the other fish in the tank I'd call it a day And use the clove oil / vodka method to put her to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now