Talk

Advanced search

Small garden pond - beginner

(6 Posts)
ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 22-Apr-15 19:10:31

We've been pleased to inherited this tiny example (about 7' diameter and not very deep), and have loved hearing the frogs splash about, wonder about the spawn etc., but are now alarmed to see the water level dropping in this warmer weather.
I know tap water's no good and have left a container for 24 hours to top up since there's no water butt here. Obviously that will have to be sorted for next year, but for now, what should I be doing?
Should I use a pond water conditioner and just hose it in, and can anyone recommend one?
Also, there's no filter and I feel for the creatures sitting there in their own toxic waste! There was some kind of pond-related contraption in the garden before, but the previous owners took it (it was an eyesore anyway, just sat in the middle of an overgrown border.
Don't think there's any fish, but we were told newts live there so am really keen to care for it properly even though I'm now realising it's a pita.
Any suggestions? TIA.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 22-Apr-15 20:37:25

Anyone?

EauRouge Thu 23-Apr-15 08:04:25

It was my night off last night grin

If there are no fish then you don't need a filter- natural ponds don't have them and the water movement will bother some pond wildlife. This time of year there will be a lot of evaporation from the warmer weather and the plants will be putting on a growth spurt so that uses up water.

You could add the dechlorinator to the pond and then top up from the hose. Leaving the water to sit for 24 hours used to do the job but water companies use chloramine now instead of chlorine because it's more stable (and so harder to get rid of). The other option is to use a large bin or similar and dechlorinate the water in there before adding it to the pond.

There are loads of pond dechlorinators you can get, they are all pretty much the same. What you are looking for is something that removes chloramine and neutralises heavy metals.

HTH smile

IKnowIAmButWhatAreYou Thu 23-Apr-15 08:08:38

Seconded with regards to the filter - not needed for a nature pond.

A water butt would be ideal, mine is about 30' from the pond, but I run a hose from its tap into it so don't think it has to be right next to it!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 23-Apr-15 11:08:28

EauRouge that definitely does H! Didn't know about the chloramine.
Thanks both - will definitely sort a water butt before next autumn Iknow - will find a dechlorinator and crack on.

bowsaw Mon 29-Jun-15 18:01:28

natural ponds often dry out in summer months and for the most part this is a good thing, keeps pests away and limits the chance of fish populations establishing that then eat the invertebrate and tadpole populations

I would not be overly concerned with the level dropping if its a wildlife set-up. Much more of a issue in ponds stocked with fish.

By adding tap-water you are also adding nutrients and this will be more readily utilised by the algaes so you might find a build up of blanket/hair weed and the micro algaes that make the water turn to pea soup

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now