Talk

Advanced search

Please help me stock my shiny new tank

(2 Posts)
TodaysFishIsTroutALaCreme Mon 03-Nov-14 20:53:39

Am currently doing a fishless cycle and now it is time to start thinking of what we want in it and am loking for inspiration.

We are newbies (ish) to fish keeping. We have upgraded from a 40ltr teeny tiny tank and wondered why our goldfish died

We now have a 240 Juwel 240 with an external filter. It has rocks and plenty of silk plants. We have tried to create an environment for happy fish such as hidey holes in the rocks and heavy planting for shy fish and room for fast darty fish. Now I just need some fish grin

I know we need top, middle and bottom feeders, but other than that am open to suggestions. I don't want anything tricky or high maintenance to look after as I would be scared of getting it wrong.

I really wanted hatchet fish, but as we have a spray bar, the surface is too wobbly for them sad

What shall we get? very excited

EauRouge Tue 04-Nov-14 16:40:06

Wobbly surface should be ok for hatchet fish. any filter should disturb the surface of the water anyway, and they are river fish so don't mind a bit of flow.

the main things you need to know are pH and hardness. this will rule out afew species. also what is the substrate like? some bottom feeders need sand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now