Talk

Advanced search

Ich, fungus on my black Molly, day 4 of treatment but no improvement.

(7 Posts)
Marne Thu 27-Sep-12 13:52:54

My black Molly (daddy molly) has developed a couple white cotton wool like spots on him. I asked for the best treatment from the aquatic shop which cost me a fortune. It says to treat for 3 days in a row and then again on day 6. So we have done the 3 days, today is the first day without treatment and he doesn't look any better. Last week he was swimming vertacly so i followed istructions to treat for swim bladder (was told to feed him peas and up the temp slightly) which seemd to work. He now seems happy other than these spots. I did have a problem with the heater, yesterday i noticed it was not keeping up to temp but now i have put in another heater and temp is back to normal. I have tested the water and all seems ok, have been doing water changes. My other mollys dont look that great either, 2 are swimming near the surface, all the guppies seem fine other than my old 2 which are reaching the end of their lives.

Do i treat the tank again if the Molly still has white spots after day 6? do i try a different treatment?

EauRouge Thu 27-Sep-12 14:17:18

What exactly is wrong with the fish? Cotton wool fungus is fungal and ich is parasitic so they need different medications. I'd finish the course of treatment (whatever it says on the bottle) and then do a water change. What treatment are you using?

Silly question- have you taken the carbon out of the filter? What are the water readings?

Marne Thu 27-Sep-12 17:06:11

I'm using Protozin (waterlife), it says its for white spot and fungus, is this ok?

He has a couple spots but does look more cotton wooly than white spot.

We have a new filter that has not got a crabon cartidge in it. I did a water change earlier, before the water change it the readings were:

NO3-25
NO2-0
GH-8
KH-3
ph-7.6
cL2-0

EauRouge Thu 27-Sep-12 23:14:24

Bugger, I must be thinking of flexibacter. Anyway, I would finish the course of treatment, do a water change and then try it again.

What's the temperature now? What other fish do you have in there?

Marne Fri 28-Sep-12 08:16:59

He's looking a bit better this morning, white spots have faded a little. Temp is around 24, the tank has Mollys (4), Guppies (6) and a small bristle nose, its my 140ltr tank so not really over stocked. 2 of the guppies keep lying around but i think they are just dying of old age (we have had them for almost a year).

EauRouge Fri 28-Sep-12 08:21:16

It wouldn't be old age after only a year, they normally go on for a couple more after that. Have you got anywhere you can move the bristlenose to?

Marne Fri 28-Sep-12 09:44:21

Not really, only got the 75ltr which isn't quite cycled and is probably not big enough. I'm not sure how old the guppies were when i got them, both of them just look a bit old and tatty, they seem to have been like this for while, i keep hoping they will die incase they pass anything on to the others. One minute they are happily swimming around and then they are led on a rock, one of them has had what looks like white spot for months now but doesnt respond to any treatment, if i was brave enough i would finish them off but i just cant do it. I wont add anything else to the tank until they have gone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now