Talk

Advanced search

You know how you get 'mad cat laddies' (people with way too many cats, well....

(19 Posts)
Marne Sat 22-Sep-12 22:25:11

I went to a house today to re-home one of my fish (as he was being picked on in my tank) and her house was full of tanks, we went in the living room where she had 5 tanks (3 huge tanks, 3 smaller), it was like visiting the sealife centre (for free), now i could easily become a mad fish woman but dh would never allow me to have that many tanks in the living room grin.

So have any of you got that many tanks?

Nigglenaggle Sun 23-Sep-12 07:52:29

OMG I havent but DH.... well its not that bad at the minute but I can see it getting out of hand!!!!

MamaPizza Sun 23-Sep-12 08:31:57

Well... blush

I currently have four tanks in the living room, four in the kitchen and two upstairs in the bedrooms. All up and running. All stocked. All water changed every week.

Marne Sun 23-Sep-12 09:28:26

I think i would have a lot more if it wasnt for dh, at the moment i have 3 tanks (but only one large one), i have made a space for my 4th tank but dh is saying 'no' sad. If a tank comes up on e-bay or gum tree i will get it without dh's say so. Not sure if i would have more than 2 in the living room though.

This lady also had a parrot in her living room and a large dog, she obviously loves animal and i suspect her husband no longer lives there smile.

MamaPizza Sun 23-Sep-12 09:49:04

Or her husband loves animals too grin I'm so glad and lucky that DH is also into fish.

3 tanks is not bad considering you weren't even allowed 2. Sneak them in slowly and quietly. wink

MamaPizza Sun 23-Sep-12 09:49:26

What have you got now anyway? Thought it was just the 60 litre tank.

Marne Sun 23-Sep-12 15:07:59

I have:
140ltr - guppies (males), a few mollys and bristle nose plec (still small).
50ltr - fry (4 mollys and 8 guppies)
35ltr - 4 female guppies (about to pop)

And 10 minutes ago i bought a 70ltr from the tip for £3 grin, not sure what to put in it though, maybe use it for fry or get a fighter fish and corys (if they can live together?)

So all small(ish) tanks and smallish fish.

Marne Sun 23-Sep-12 15:09:11

The female guppies will be going back into the big tank once they have had their fry (didn't want them to give birth in the big tank or it would take me ages to fish ouot the fry).

MamaPizza Sun 23-Sep-12 21:57:33

Cool! And congrats on tank number 4 grin

I'd put a betta in the 7 litre with some cories and a dither fish like ember tetras or harlequins. Or make it a betta sorority. Now that would be different to your current tanks.

Marne Sun 23-Sep-12 22:15:13

Was thinking Betta (dd1 has been after one for a while), i might free up one of my smaller tanks too so we can keep a male and female (will probably put the female in the 75ltr as females are ok with other fish arn't they? and then put the male upstairs in dd's room. I could put some of my bigger fry into the 75ltr with the female betta if i need to?

Dd1 has put marbles in the new tank so probably no good for cory's? (don't they like sand?).

MamaPizza Sun 23-Sep-12 22:23:28

Yes, cories would need sand to keep them healthy.

Tank shuffling sounds confusing. If I get it right, yes male betta would be happy in a small tank. Female can go with others but no fin nippers. Are you planning on keeping her with the guppies? Might not be the best move.

Marne Mon 24-Sep-12 14:23:45

ok, we now have sand so can get corry's. Looked around several shops today for ideas but none had the fish i wanted (no female bettas and no corrys). I probably wont put any guppies in the tank unless we get over run with them (at the moment i have people waiting for fry but the guppies are not giving birth). Do you think just a female fighter fish and corrys will be ok? are there any other small fish that are not tail nippers?

Saw lots of male bettas today but all were kept in poor conditions, 1 (at Pets at home) was in a tank of platty's and in the other shop they were being kept in plastic cups or bags inside other tanks shock, was tempted to buy one to rescue it.

I would like to move my female guppies as soon as they have given birth (put them in with the males as i havn't get many males now (one is on its way out), trouble is i got up this morning and my male Molly has fungus/cotton wool on it so i am now treating the big tank again (after we had white spot) so cant put anything in there until its cleared sad, the females are in the tiny tank at the moment as i needed the slightly bigger one for the fry (which should be ready to go soon).

MamaPizza Tue 25-Sep-12 07:02:40

How about having a go at breeding? In 70 litre you could get a pair of kribensis or a pair of bolivian rams. And some guppies as dither fish. Would be a nice tank.

I got a 80 litre tank, I call it my oddball tank, with a pair of kribensis, 6 pygmy cories and my female betta. The betta and kribs stay out of each others ways and the pygmies are the little kids rummaging around in the sand.

Marne Tue 25-Sep-12 13:00:03

We have decided on a female Betta and some danio's.

Have also reserved a male betta who is stunning to go in my smaller tank in my bedroom, have never seen such a stunning betta so had to reserve him, he is electric blue with a red bottom fin. Just hope the shop keeps hold of him until the weekend. Couldn't get him today as i need to check the water in the tank (have just moved the female guppies out of it) and i want to change the graval.

How do i go about breeding the bettas? do you just put them together to do there thing and then split them up again? are they easy to breed?

Snowfire Tue 25-Sep-12 19:40:19

I looked into breeding my bettas, I have a beautiful male and a sorority of females.

The mating process seems very complicated involving mating rituals, actual mating can get quite violent and the fry have to be seperated out or the boys will kill each other so you would need lots of little tankshmm. Needless to say I didn't go beyond the research stage in my plan.

Bettas are brilliant fish, they have real personalities! If you do decide on a sorority make sure you choose carefully in the shop as some can be a bit bitey!! grin

Snowfire Tue 25-Sep-12 19:41:43

Actually, reading that back, it sounds a bit like humans mating!!

Marne Tue 25-Sep-12 20:02:05

It does sound like humans grin

I would love to breed them but it does sound like a lot of hastle and i would need lots of space (which i havn't got).

The betta i have reserved is in a tank with other fish (i think they were danios or something similar) but i will be keeping him on his own, have already set up the tank for him (after i turfed the guppies out), just need to test the water, it has the old filter and media in there and i am feeding it with fish food whilst its empty (is this what i'm ment to do?). I might be able to pick him up sooner if my water/tank is ok.

When I went to Pets at Home to get my water tested last week the guy working there told me he has 52 tanks at home.

I reckon he goes to work for the rest smile

Marne Thu 27-Sep-12 13:43:45

52 tanks shock, he must have a big house (or a huge shed full of fish tanks).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now