Talk

Advanced search

How much clove oil to euthanise a goldfish?

(2 Posts)
lurcherlover Mon 29-Aug-11 22:09:06

One of my gran's fancy goldfish (she has three, all quite elderly) isn't looking well...he has a tumour and is starting to look extremely depressed. I'm thinking his days may be numbered. I keep tropical myself and am used to using the clove oil when necessary to give an ailing fish a humane end, but obviously the amount needed to kill a tetra isn't the same as for a fantail (I'm guessing he's about 8cm long, not including tail). How much clove oil will I need to do the job properly? With tropicals I mix the oil with tank water in a little bowl and put the fish in and death is instantaneous - I'm assuming the same method will work with goldfish? Poor old fellow sad

EauRouge Tue 30-Aug-11 09:57:35

Oh, that's sad sad I had to euthanise my favourite goldfish a few years ago, I'd had him since I was a student and I cried buckets.

Yes, the method is the same. Well, I usually use the clove oil to put them under and then use vodka once they are unconcious but you can OD them on clove oil. You'd need a fair bit for a bigger fish. 10 drops should be enough to knock a large-ish goldfish out. I normally shake it up in a jam jar with some tank water and then pour it into whatever the fish is in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now