Talk

Advanced search

Baby Guppies - YAAAY!

(14 Posts)
ButWhyIsTheGinGone Mon 15-Aug-11 19:02:30

My first batch! Both female have been pregnant for a while, but this morning I noticed one was decidedly slimmer than usual - then I noticed the babies! From what I can see there are about 9-10 babies, is this normal?

Also, the mum is kind of "normal" with a black and white spotty tail, but the dad is tiny, orange and with a forked red tail. Will the babies look exactly like the parents or might there be other colours? (Have seen some pics of really pretty guppies.) So excited!

EauRouge Mon 15-Aug-11 19:07:07

Congratulations grin

Not sure on the usual brood number. If you chuck a handful of java moss in it will give the babies somewhere to hide. Their appearance can vary, they might look like the mum or the dad or they might look like their aunties or grandparents etc. Guppies are selectively bred but sometimes you get a throwback.

Popbiscuit Mon 15-Aug-11 19:16:22

We had some babies accidentally born in captivity in our fish tank (mix up at the fish store). Only two but I suppose there may have been more sad They were completely different colours from the parents so you may get a surprise. The children loved watching them grow and we had them for a few years. Fluffy and Snuggles grin.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Mon 15-Aug-11 19:26:06

THanks both! I have a big bushy plant which they seem to be congregating around, but the braver ones are swimming up the surface. I really don't want them to get eaten by mum or dad - I'm watching them like a hawk! :-D They're just tiny little squiggles with massive black eyes. The other female looks fit to burst as well!!!

EauRouge Mon 15-Aug-11 19:34:56

What are you going to do with them all? You might want to separate them out as soon as you can and rehome them, otherwise you'll be overrun with the little buggers.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Mon 15-Aug-11 19:41:57

You're right EauRouge - I'm going to advertise them and see if people want them for free. I'm a member of my local Freegle site but not sure if it's ok to offer pets... do you know at what age they should be able to go? Thanks!!

EauRouge Mon 15-Aug-11 20:00:06

Depends on what other people have in their tanks, they can be rehomed as soon as they're big enough not to get eaten. There's no parental care so no need to keep them with the parents for any length of time. It'll probably be a month or two before you can sex them accurately.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Wed 14-Sep-11 19:42:24

Oh HELP!!! I have not managed to shift any of my beautiful babies yet and now the worst has happened - she's had MORE!!!! EauRouge or others - can you advise me, please? I have heard from a friend and read online that guppies can survive in temperate tanks. I have checked the temp in my 300 litre tank and it's currently 68 - is this too cold for guppies? I was considering putting the adults in there as there is plenty of room and the fry won't erm.... last long with my loaches about. Feel horrid!

Obv I won't do this if it will hurt or kill the guppies....any ideas? Thanks! xx

EauRouge Thu 15-Sep-11 08:54:19

I think 68F is too cold for guppies, they'd end up being more susceptible to fin rot. No advice really other than get rid of your females quick! You could try freecycle, ebay, pre-loved, all those kind of things. Your local fish shop might take them. Good luck!

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Fri 16-Sep-11 20:31:09

Agh! Pardon my language, but the older batch (who are old enough to sex) ALL SEEM TO BE FUCKING FEMALES! How is this possible?!
Ringing a fish place 15 miles away tomorrow to see if they will have them. For free!

EauRouge Fri 16-Sep-11 20:37:25

Oh bugger! What's your water temperature? High temps can result in more males, lower temps more females. Sorry, typing one handed but here is some science- onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2109.2005.01412.x/abstract

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Fri 16-Sep-11 21:14:56

That's actually really interesting, EauRouge, as my temp is on the lower side of tropical - 72 degrees!
It;s very frustrating in fact, cos although I need to give them away, some of them are developing gorgeous colours - have red/blacks, yellows and even a green which apparently is rather rare. The dad has a forked tail and so far as i can see none of them seem to have inherited that. (Tho apprantly the mums can hoarde sperm for months and who knows who these hussies have been knocking about with.....?) :-D
Fingers crossed the place tomorrow will take them!!!

EauRouge Sat 17-Sep-11 07:51:20

Ooh, that's pretty cold for guppies. They are often sold for unheated tanks but they actually prefer warmer water than a lot of tropical fish. Can you crank your heater up a bit? I'd go for around 77.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Sat 17-Sep-11 15:42:05

Hmm - I will examine my heater and see if it's adjustable. It came with the tank and I didn't notice any controls. On the positive side the garden centre I rang will take all my babies off my hands. Yippee! They're only a month old at the mo and just beginning to develop great colours...may wait a while and keep the prettiest ones! :-D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now