Talk

Advanced search

Favourite types of fish...

(17 Posts)
ButWhyIsTheGinGone Thu 04-Aug-11 12:58:39

Hello all!
Just been speaking to a friend who's got herself a lovely new tank and was wondering what to put in it. It got me thinking about the pros and cons of different types of fish you can buy, so I thought I would start a thread that perhaps might help out others who are deciding what to go for.

My current favourites are Dojo Loaches - you need a MASSIVE tank as I believe they grow up to 10", but they are so amusing. Mine go loopy round the tank, herding up my black moors, then when they catch sight of me looking they stop dead in their tracks and give me a right "what are YOU looknig at" stare.

Also, Albino Corys - they scuffle around the floor of the tank then all of a sudden decide to zoom up to the surface for air. Very cute!

Anybody else got any particular favourites?

EauRouge Thu 04-Aug-11 16:06:30

I love cories, I've kept a couple of different species. They are great fun to watch grin Dojo loaches are awesome but I've had to get rid of all my big tanks so that's one that will have to wait a few years.

I like some of the bigger fish like clown loaches and silver sharks but it'll be ages before I've got the space for a big enough tank. So for now I'll stick to the little fish. Also my tap water is super hard and I'm too lazy poor busy to faff about with RO water any more so that limits my choices a bit.

Mumswang Thu 04-Aug-11 16:37:58

Clown loaches without a doubt. They have real personality and always look happy to see you. And they laze around, lying on their sides on the bottom of the tank, and snuggle with their friends - they really do grin

Kladdkaka Thu 04-Aug-11 16:55:50

Clown loaches here too. They pretend to be dead and get abducted by aliens (they're definately not in the tank).

EauRouge Thu 04-Aug-11 16:57:02

I'm jealous of your massive tanks envy I'd never have the space for clown loaches. Maybe when we emigrate....

Kladdkaka Thu 04-Aug-11 17:24:33

Haha, I didn't get a big tank till after I emigrated either.

EauRouge Thu 04-Aug-11 17:27:56

We had a look at a couple of open houses when we were visiting the in-laws in Canada and the whole time I was thinking 'ooh, I could fit a 300 gallon tank there' blush grin

Kladdkaka Thu 04-Aug-11 17:39:23

Houses round here are huge and dirt cheap. My house is 3x the size of the one we rented in the UK and it only cost £35,000.

EauRouge Thu 04-Aug-11 17:42:52

Wow, where did you move to?

Kladdkaka Thu 04-Aug-11 18:02:11

Sweden. We live in the back end of nowhere mind you. Prices go up and up the closer you get to civilisation.

Kladdkaka Thu 04-Aug-11 18:04:37

There's a couple of pics on my profile of what £35,000 gets you in Sweden. It looks small (is for Sweden) but it's a tardis house. I have 6 rooms in the cellar alone.

EauRouge Thu 04-Aug-11 18:07:49

Now I'm jealous of your house too grin It looks lovely, I'd love to have that much outdoor space.

Kladdkaka Thu 04-Aug-11 18:11:21

It's under 4ft of snow 5 months of the year, takes all day to cut the grass and the nearest McDonalds supermarket is 2 hours away.

EauRouge Thu 04-Aug-11 20:45:24

That sounds infinitely more exciting than where I live. I doubt DH could cope with being that far away from McDonalds civilisation though.

MackerelOfFact Fri 05-Aug-11 15:35:21

Loaches freak me out a bit, I think they're really ugly!

I love my guppies (only have 2 currently plus one 2-week-old baby). Mr Guppy is a bit gay and spends most of the time sexually harassing Mr Molly, and Mrs Guppy is a pretty cool customer who enjoys surfing in the aeration bubbles. I love platys, too. I always thought they were boring, goldfish-looking things but a) they have markings that look like mostaches, and b) they are bonkers.

I also love my dwarf albino aquatic froggies and Mr and Mrs Fighter. He is grumpy as sin and she is like a dainty little butterfly.

I love all my fish really. The pair of dwarf gouramis we had were stunning but so delicate. sad

purpleflower123 Sat 06-Aug-11 15:11:26

I loved my clowns too but the big tank had to go sad

I quite like my bristlenose plecs, they are so ugly they are pretty. Just wish they would give the breeding a break though, I'm getting over run.

Guppy's are nice. The moonlight gouramis I had were stunning, so majestic. I'm off for a nose to the fish shop today but its only small fish for me sad

Couris are great, I have a couple of kuli loach too but only ever see them when I take every ornament and plants out of the tank. Last time there were 4 but I haven't seen them since!

Tiggles Sat 03-Sep-11 17:25:09

I love clown loach, I did have a lovely fire oscar but neighbour managed to kill him when we were on holiday (didn't notice there had been a power cut until the fish were floating on the top) he used to eat out our hands and enjoyed being tickled. Of my current fish my favourite are probably a rather cute elephant fish and a gar fish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now