Talk

Advanced search

help- second-hand tank

(11 Posts)
GlitterySkulls Sun 24-Jul-11 19:15:18

we've been given a tank by a friend, but its been sitting out in their back garden & it's filthy. its currently in my shower full of hot water & bleach, & once its soaked a while i'm going to have to scrub it.

how do i ensure that all traces of bleach are out of it before i set it up & do a fishless cycle? i'm a bit concerned incase the bleachy residue somehow remains even after thorough rinsing.

GlitterySkulls Sun 24-Jul-11 19:17:36

i've just read that back & realised how thick i sound lol

i know what i was trying to say, hopefully you do too grin

EauRouge Sun 24-Jul-11 21:40:54

How much did you put in? Normally if you use bleach to clean up an old fish tank I would say dilute it 10 parts water to one part bleach. Then you just need to rinse and rinse and rinse about a billion times. I wouldn't leave the bleach to soak though, just use it to wipe.

Don't forget to do a fishless cycle once it's all set up!

GlitterySkulls Mon 25-Jul-11 09:44:11

after all that, just as i finish scrubbing the thing i discover it leaks slightly angry

this tank was manky- the dirt was encrusted into it, it wouldn't wipe off, it had to soak for a good few hours, then i still had to scrub.

thanks for your reply, though smile

EauRouge Mon 25-Jul-11 09:53:10

If it's a leak in the silicone then it's really easy to fix. All you need is a tube of aquarium friendly silicone (get it from an aquatic shop rather than a DIY shop), make sure the leaking spot is dry and just stick some silicone over it.

GlitterySkulls Mon 25-Jul-11 15:05:41

that's so weird, i'm just back from the aquarium shop, having bought a tube smile

i've never repaired a tank before, hope i don't bugger it up !

EauRouge Mon 25-Jul-11 17:10:43

Nah, it's dead easy, as long as you don't mind how it looks grin

GlitterySkulls Mon 25-Jul-11 17:23:06

its a wee tiny chip at the bottom corner, no- one will see it !!

GlitterySkulls Tue 26-Jul-11 20:44:17

i've just done it, and i'm looking at it thinking "hmmmm" hmm & i'm wondering, should i have put it on the inside instead of the outside?

a bit late to ask now, i know grin

EauRouge Tue 26-Jul-11 21:26:07

Depends where the chip is! As long as it sits flat then it should be OK.

GlitterySkulls Tue 26-Jul-11 22:36:20

fingers crossed it works then lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now