Talk

Advanced search

Eau rouge or other fishy experts help please! Was this the start of fin rot and am I treating it properly?!

(9 Posts)
peggotty Thu 09-Jun-11 09:50:13

Our Oranda developed sort of red streaks in her tail that lead to what looked like a small White blister. This blister then seemed to burst and looked red and sore and the bit of her fin it was on looked a bit raggedy. I did 2 large 50% water changes one day after the other, then 2 25% water changes the 2 following days. The nitrate is down to around 10. I've also been adding aquarium salt but am not sure if I do this after every wAter change bearing in mind I'm doing loads at the moment. She looks happier and I THINK the fin looks less inflamed and the streaks not as red. Anything else I can do? Thanks!

EauRouge Thu 09-Jun-11 11:38:51

It sounds like it could be fin rot, it's hard to say without a pic! The salt should help kill off the bacteria but I would try an antibacterial treatment like Melafix. That should shift it but there are other things available if that doesn't work. Make sure you increase aeration in the tank when you use the melafix and keep an eye on the water conditions. Do you know the ammonia and nitrIte readings? How big is the tank?

peggotty Thu 09-Jun-11 12:17:39

Eau, the nitrite and ammonia readings are zero. The tank is too small at 60 litres I know and I had been a bit lax in cleaning it recently so this is all my fault blush. Where would I get melafix from?

peggotty Thu 09-Jun-11 12:19:17

Also should I keep toPping up the salt after every water change while I'm trying to treat her?

EauRouge Thu 09-Jun-11 17:57:44

Melafix should be easy enough to get hold off, I think you can even get it in larger tesco superstores. Any pet shop should have it anyway.

I wouldn't top up the salt, it can be easy to end up with too much due to water evaporation.

NitrIte and ammonia are perfect at zero! 60 litres is no good long term as you know but if the fish is still young then it'll do for now. Way better than some of the death traps on sale for goldfish!

Do you know what the pH is?

peggotty Thu 09-Jun-11 20:42:50

Ok will leave off with the salt!! I can't remember the exact ph reading ( took it couple of days ago) but it was within the normal range. Will the melafix be ok to use with just the normal filter or should I try to add extra oxygen another way?

EauRouge Thu 09-Jun-11 23:29:23

Yes it should be OK, just make sure the spout or spray bar or whatever shoots the water back into the tank is just above the surface of the water so that there is some water turbulence.

peggotty Fri 10-Jun-11 08:31:47

Thanks for all the advice Eau. Fish is looking much happier ready. Fin looks healed (if a little bit bent out of shape!) and the red streaks less obvious. Will still get the melafix as a precaution though.

EauRouge Fri 10-Jun-11 08:53:18

Oh good, glad he's perking up!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: