Talk

Advanced search

My Goldfish is constipated

(9 Posts)
branflakesareboring Tue 07-Jun-11 19:18:14

He's stuffed himself with too many dried bloodworms. I forget how big his mouth is and he just sucks them in sad

He's had this in the past. Last time it was tubifex hmm

I'm currently nursing him in epsom salts and have given him fresh food and some frozen peas.

Please keep your fingers crossed for him because we've had him for about 8 years and we call him our lucky fish. His name is Jim and he's lovely.

Please feel free to say a <>< prayer for him if you like so that he might pull through. I'd be gutted if we lost him because he's so healthy and well.

EauRouge Tue 07-Jun-11 21:02:36

Fingers crossed for Jim sad What kind of goldfish is he? I used to love my goldfish but fancies are so inbred now it's a constant struggle to keep them healthy, I don't think I would get goldies again. Sending some good fishy vibes.

branflakesareboring Wed 08-Jun-11 11:26:25

He's not a fancy one just a standard shape with a longish tail. He's swimming around in his hospital container a bit this morning but still hasn't pood and a few of his scales are starting to pinecone. He pineconed all over once so I'm not unduly worried. I can't get him to eat any of the frozen peas or bloodworms. I've changed his water and added more epsom salts. I don't know if he's taking any of the salts into his digestive tract though. Do fish drink at the same time as putting water through their fins?

Please poo Jim!

allhailtheaubergine Wed 08-Jun-11 11:28:18

Wow. Hope your fishy pulls through. I had no idea you could do first aid for fish.

branflakesareboring Wed 08-Jun-11 12:38:01

He's dying sad

I feel awful. I can't help him. I can't believe I've had him all this time and now this has happened. I can't stop crying.

EauRouge Wed 08-Jun-11 18:50:37

Oh no sad Hasn't he pooped at all? Do you think he might have a blockage?

branflakesareboring Wed 08-Jun-11 20:07:59

It seemed like it was a blockage. He's dead now sad I feel really gutted. He was about 8 years old and one of my oldest pets. He was always prone to blocking up a bit, but this seems to have been too much for him. I hope it wasn't my fault. I feel so bad.

allhailtheaubergine Thu 09-Jun-11 07:28:03

Sorry Bran sad

Very sad for you.

EauRouge Thu 09-Jun-11 09:16:58

Sorry to hear that sad Don't blame yourself, fish can be pretty delicate and it's so hard to get professional help when something goes wrong. My nearest fish vet is about 40 miles away and I'm lucky to have one that close!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: