Talk

Advanced search

my goldfish

(13 Posts)
ilovesprouts Fri 01-Apr-11 11:32:14

my goldfish will be 17.6 in june was just a little fish i got from pet shop my dd was 18m at the time and we used to go to the pet shop to have a look ,and to sat fi fi ,instead of fish any on else got old gold fish

EauRouge Fri 01-Apr-11 11:39:11

You've obviously looked after it well! I used to have fancy goldfish ages ago, I loved them but I don't have the space to get any more. I had to get rid of my 4 ft tank to make room for DD2 grin At the moment all I've got is an empty tank because I can't make my mind up what to put in it... I think I'll get some minnows. I really want a dwarf puffer but I don't think I'll have the time to look after it until the DDs are older.

ilovesprouts Fri 01-Apr-11 11:44:58

just gets cleaned out we tap water every few weeks or soo but its all silver now

EauRouge Fri 01-Apr-11 12:52:30

Tap water? shock Do you mean tank water?

ilovesprouts Fri 01-Apr-11 14:27:38

water from the tap ,dont have water tank

Pancakeflipper Fri 01-Apr-11 14:31:04

I hope ours last that long ( only had them weeks so got a while to go...).

My cousin had one he won from the fair that last nearly 18 yrs. It grew and grew. It began life in a bowl and went onto having a huge tank. It was beautiful. It was obviously a fish with some pedigree chucked in with the run-of-mill fairground fish.

EauRouge Fri 01-Apr-11 15:44:46

Sorry, I went all jargon-y grin I just meant dechlorinated water.

Here is some info on goldfish life expectancy.

clitorisorclitoraint Fri 01-Apr-11 15:59:38

V interested in this as I have very recently removed the heater from my formerly tropical set up and put a pair of goldfish in there!

Ryoko Thu 07-Apr-11 16:44:06

My brother had a goldfish for 15 years he won at a fairground, it turned totally silver and got thin, poor sod must have been bored out of it's mind, it was in a ten litre totally empty tank, it just watched TV all day and got cleaned out once a week with normal tap water and fed on flakes.

maybe the food is trash now days or they are just all over bred but I've never had one last that long, not with all the filter aids and mixed food etc.

my Grandma had one in a shed for 27 years, in a glass 20 litre tank, it never got cleaned out, the tank was green pond water looking but didn't smell nasty or anything, must have been a whole pond eco system thing going on in there, and she fed it ants eggs twice a day, you could only see the thing if you looking in the top because it would stick it's head out and look at you it was about the same size as my brothers one around 7 inches.

ilovesprouts Thu 07-Apr-11 18:01:18

mines just in square plastiec tank ,graval in a a coup;e of flat stones gets cleaned out wen it needs it just use tap water

EauRouge Thu 07-Apr-11 18:18:30

Goldfish are pretty poor quality now but they used to be able to put up with all sorts of ill treatment. Depending on where you get them from they can still sometimes withstand some pretty awful conditions but there is much better info and equipment available now so there's no reason not to give them the environment they need wink

Bucharest Thu 07-Apr-11 18:22:18

Blimey, ours is 5 and I thought that was good going.
De-chlorinated tap water changed every 10 days or so. He had a partner but she only lasted a week and he ate her. shock

ilovesprouts Fri 01-Jul-11 22:53:16

just to let you all know the fish died last sunday he was 17.6 &5 days old

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now