Talk

Advanced search

Film recommendations? Answers needed this pm please!

(20 Posts)
Lonelymum Sat 30-Jul-05 14:15:53

It is my and dh's wedding anniversary today and MIL has unexpectedly offered to babysit to allow us to go out (Very Rare Event! - us going out, I mean, not MIL's offer).

Anyway, we thought of going to the cinema, bt are completely out of touch with current films. The names of the films mean nothing to us. Can anyone recommend a good film at the cinema for tonight please? Something with appeal to both dh and myself.

Nbg Sat 30-Jul-05 14:17:58

What sort of films do you like?

Lonelymum Sat 30-Jul-05 14:21:35

Not sure! Well, I don't like science fiction or thrillers very much. Historical dramas would please me most, but I really don't know what is out at the moment. Dh is easy!

Nbg Sat 30-Jul-05 14:22:03

Right let me think....

Nbg Sat 30-Jul-05 14:33:39

I don't think there is anything historical.

There seems to be alot of foreign films out atm. So if you like them I don't think you'll be stuck.

Lighthearted/comedy, there is the Wedding Crashers with Owen Willson and Vince Vaughn, Madagascar (you might have seen that though with the kids)

Action, The Fantastic Four, Mr and Mrs Smith and Batman Begins. I have heard though that Fantastic four is quite light, not very in your face IYKWIM. There's also War of the Worlds. I wouldn't mind seeing that as it looks pretty good.

Thrillers, The Skeleton Key, The Decent (I think)

I'll have a look on the reviews on Teletext.

Lonelymum Sat 30-Jul-05 14:39:43

War of the Worlds might appeal, although it is science fiction. But maybe I am only saying that because it is the only one I know (through the musical!)

Is there a website I could go to that would give me current film reviews?

Nbg Sat 30-Jul-05 14:41:33

Yeah I've just had a look on the BBC's website. That gives you the top 10 films with ratings too.

Enjoy your night

Lonelymum Sat 30-Jul-05 14:59:23

Thanks Nbg. I have looked at the bbc website. Typical that when we get a chance to go out, there isn't anything we want to see!

Might go for Fantastic Four but only (from my pov) because it has Ioan Gruffudd in it and I would die for him! Dh says "so you can watch Ioan and I can follow the plot!"

Nbg Sat 30-Jul-05 15:03:20

I was going to mention the gorgeous Mr Hornblower but thought it was just me in the whole world that thought he was attractive and it's kinda action/sci fi so I'm sure your DH will appreciate it

Tbh if dh and I got the chance to go I think we would opt for Fantastic Four too or possibly War of the Worlds (although Tom Cruise makes me sick)

Have a great night you lucky devils

chenin Sat 30-Jul-05 15:07:45

Saw War of the Worlds last week and really enjoyed it. If you take it for what it is - Hollywood pap (!!) - you will enjoy it! Special effects were brilliant and even the storyline was quite good.

cupcakes Sat 30-Jul-05 15:08:55

dh and I saw Batman last week and that was quite good. Christian Bale was good and Michael Caine funny.

Lonelymum Sat 30-Jul-05 15:11:10

Thanks Nbg. You are definitely not alone in fancying Mr Hornblower. He is GORGEOUS!

dropinthe Sat 30-Jul-05 15:14:13

Happy Anniversary to you and Mr Lonelymum!! Well done to the MIL for taking on the four sprogs!!
Have a great night whatever you do and remember what it was like pre kids etc and feel young again!

Lonelymum Sat 30-Jul-05 15:19:17

We did THAT last night Dropinthe! Can't I have a break tonight?!

WideWebWitch Sat 30-Jul-05 15:26:28

I thought Mr & Mrs Smith was terrible and WOTW is ok but not anywhere near as good as, say, Independence Day or The Day After Tomorrow in terms of disaster movies. Yeah, I'd go for Fantastic Four too I think, dp took ds and came back saying I'd like Mr Fantastic. It depends on what you like. Of films I've seen recently I really loved Sideways but that's out on dvd atm so maybe for a night when you're in instead. The Wedding Crashers had an unexpectedly good review in Empire, they reckoned it would be the sleeper hit of the summer. I haven't seen it though.

Lonelymum Sat 30-Jul-05 15:27:32

The Wedding Crashers didn't have a good review on the bbc website.

WideWebWitch Sat 30-Jul-05 15:28:42

the Showcase site has searchable listings

Nbg Sun 31-Jul-05 11:01:43

Hope you had a good night LM.

What did you see in the end?

Lonelymum Sun 31-Jul-05 12:17:23

Aw thanks for thinking of me Nbg!

We saw Fantastic Four in the end. It wasn't exactly high culture! In fact, I am disappointed that Ioan Gruffudd feels the need to sell himself so cheaply to Hollywood, but there you go.

If you like comic book stories, and don't mind about a complete lack of characterisation (or realism, obviously) you should go and see it.

Actually, I sound a bit pompous. It was OK for a light evening out - slightly funny in places. I just wish that dh and I could co-ordinate our rare evenings out with the release of a decent film!

Davros Sun 31-Jul-05 20:05:28

Prob bit late. I would go to Festival.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: