Talk

Advanced search

Heard there's a cinema chain where you can take your babies to adult films on Sat am. Anyone know which one?

(27 Posts)
homemama Wed 22-Jun-05 13:19:33

Hi! I read somewhere recently that one of the big cinema chains did a thing where parents of babies under 1 could go watch a film such as Star Wars.
The idea is that all these parents who had no babysitters took their babes with them to a sat am showing specially put on for them!
Apparently it had been trialled somewhere and been a big success!
Can't remember which cinema chain and hoped someone on MN could help.
TIA

Heathcliffscathy Wed 22-Jun-05 13:22:16

clapham picture house do this. so does the ritzy in brixton. i think all the picture house cinemas do (richmond and hampstead). other than that i don't know....

Hayls Wed 22-Jun-05 13:23:05

I think UGC do this

homemama Wed 22-Jun-05 13:24:31

Thanks sophable, we're in Manchester so looking for somewhere a little closer but thanks anyway I will check out the independents.

bossykate Wed 22-Jun-05 13:24:35

picture house cinemas do this.

WideWebWitch Wed 22-Jun-05 13:26:12

It's called The Big Scream, hang on

WideWebWitch Wed 22-Jun-05 13:28:16

ah, it's a Huggies promotion and tied in with various cinemas, I can't find one site with a listing of all participating cinemas, sorry!

homemama Wed 22-Jun-05 16:28:40

Thanks anyway girls!

wordsmith Wed 22-Jun-05 16:30:03

What do they do with the babies when they start crying?

SleepyJess Wed 22-Jun-05 16:31:44

Well UGC wouldn't let me in to see Bridget Jones because I had a (then) few months old DS with me! They said "sorry.. it's a 15 certificate!" and I said "but he won't listen to any sexual references!! He will breast feed and then sleep..!I have timed it as such..!" But no go... so off I went sadly.. while my friends went in without me... *cue violins for SJ*

bossykate Wed 22-Jun-05 16:31:57

you just pick them up, walk around, comfort them, feed them - whatever. i was never bothered by other babies crying tbh - only my own!

Tinker Wed 22-Jun-05 17:25:37

But isn't it a bit loud?

Twiglett Wed 22-Jun-05 17:27:34

there's also the issue that when your babe in arms is fast asleep and you try to watch the movie the babe next to you, or behind you or in front will start screaming

I wouldn't go to the pictures when other peoples babies are allowed .. sorry

bossykate Wed 22-Jun-05 17:28:01

the crying or the film? yes i did the find the film soundtrack rather loud, actually. never seemed to bother dd though!

bossykate Wed 22-Jun-05 17:28:52

twig, i honestly didn't really notice other people's babies crying much - not enough to spoil my enjoyment of the film.

Tinker Wed 22-Jun-05 17:39:32

the film bk. got nervous at loud films just wjen pregnant so now wpuld be even worse

Chandra Wed 22-Jun-05 17:43:21

City Scren chain does offer the service on Wednesdays, is called The Big Scream. Normally there's a changing mat and other baby conveniences at the front of the ausitorium.

Chandra Wed 22-Jun-05 17:45:45

Of course there will be other children crying in the background but isn't it fantastic to be able to relax knowing that your child won't be the only one? Besides, other mothers in the same situation may be far more understanding than the regular public.

homemama Wed 22-Jun-05 19:12:07

This showing is only for parents with babies under 1. Its a special showing just for them. Babies can cry, be fed etc. You wouldn't go if you didn't have your baby with you.
We have 7mth old and no family within 300miles. We're also the first of friends to have baby so this would help keep us sane.
I agree Chandra, no anxiety about DS's crying!

Twiglett Wed 22-Jun-05 19:12:13

disgree chandra

I think sometimes other mothers who's chldren are quiet are far more keen for other people's kids to be out of earshot

Twiglett Wed 22-Jun-05 19:13:12

but then again those who go to these kind of screenigns would definitely not be that kind of mummy, oh no

Chandra Wed 22-Jun-05 19:15:44

????

Isn't that the same that I said? [confused emoticon]

starrynight Wed 22-Jun-05 19:36:00

When one of my kids was little I just went to watch mission impossible with them and no-one said anything - just give it a whirl!

starrynight Wed 22-Jun-05 19:37:11

And just to echo other posts - if i'm out and someone else's children are screaming/wailing/throwing themselves on the floor I hardly notice and couldn't give two hoots as long as its not my responsibility

Twiglett Wed 22-Jun-05 20:23:42

sorry I seem to be being obnoxious for the sake of it .. I am having an 'I don't want other people's kids squawking anywhere near me, I've got enough of my own thank you very much' kind of day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now