Talk

Advanced search

Trying to read more... reccomend me some good books please:-)

(7 Posts)

I go through phases of reading and usually go for chick lit. I am just finishing "My sisters keeper" by Jodie Picoult which I have really enjoyed. Are any of her other books woth a look at? Or can you reccomend anything else for me to read. Nothing really heavy going though... as i said I usually go for chick lit but want something a bit more.. well you know.. thought provoking but not something that I have to force myself to readsmile

cruelladepoppins Sun 25-Oct-09 17:52:31

Hi, just finished the Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, took me 100 pages to get into it but then I was hooked!

If you are looking for something a bit more classic, I really loved Edith Wharton's "The Age of Innocence" - set in 19th century New York high society.

My all-time fave is Thackeray's "Vanity Fair" but it's quite a big read and not everyone "gets" it. I love his characters. Or "Trilby" by George du Maurier. Or (come to think of it) "Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier.

Happy reading. smile

TeamAlesha Sun 25-Oct-09 18:32:21

The Road Home

It's a really easy read but way better than chicklit

The age of innocence sounds good cruella, who is author of The road home team alesha?smile

SleepingLion Mon 26-Oct-09 09:23:29

Have you tried any Anita Shreve? And I am going through a Margaret Atwood phase at the moment; The Handmaid's Tale is a gripping read and thought-provoking too.

I have read lots of Jodi Picoult but I recommend you space them out because they do all have the same plot iyswim - the family/legal case drama.

TeamAlesha Mon 26-Oct-09 20:27:22

oh sorry - Rose Tremain

maggiethecat Mon 02-Nov-09 22:25:17

I was recently spellbound by We need to talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now