Talk

Advanced search

district 9

(24 Posts)
southeastastra Sat 05-Sep-09 18:58:00

ok anyone else seen this yet?

you must go! though be prepared for nightmares.

leoleosuperstar Sat 05-Sep-09 19:12:55

Is it scary? I keep having nightmares at the moment anyway..

southeastastra Sat 05-Sep-09 19:32:41

do you? maybe you should wait a while before seeing this then. or maybe it's just me

Ceasnake Sat 05-Sep-09 21:48:49

This film was so not what I was expecting. Went in expecting a sort of cheesy sci-fi romp like Independence Day.... and instead got a thought-provoking, sociopolitical, intelligent thriller. It's not scary but it is quite voilent - it's very affecting, though. Some body-horror too - think The Fly.

I thought it was made even more effective by setting it in South Africa, with all the undertones of apartheid played out in the segregation of the aliens.

And I just loved that the main alien was called...Christopher grin

Ceasnake Sat 05-Sep-09 21:49:25

Violent, rather.

CharCharGabor Sat 05-Sep-09 21:58:17

I loved it so much. I'd been waiting for it since they started publicising it. It was a very different twist on the alien film and I was massively impressed. The CGI was also fantastic, apparently they used the best of the best and it shows. The 'vampires' in I Am Legend, for example, are laughable in comparison to these aliens. Watch it smile

southeastastra Sat 05-Sep-09 22:04:57

i hadn't even heard of it until yesterday when i read a review and made my ds(15) go with me.

wasn't what i was expecting either but one of the best films i've seen for ages.

was hiding behind my hands for quite a bit of it.

weegiemum Sat 05-Sep-09 22:11:53

I'm hoping to go next week - I heard about it when I read this article about where it was filmed

The Real District 9

Glad to hear it is a good film. I hope it will open some eyes and raise some awareness too!

southeastastra Sat 05-Sep-09 22:21:02

thanks for that link weegie - interesting reading.

weegiemum Sat 05-Sep-09 22:22:06

I'm an ex-geog teacher doing a Masters in International Development. Can you tell?

southeastastra Sat 05-Sep-09 22:32:10

smile hopefully the film will have some impact in changing things do you think?

weegiemum Sat 05-Sep-09 22:39:45

I hope so. Some friends of ours working in nasty slums in Latin America happen to be in the states right now and have seen it - they say it has a lot of parallels with their situation and are encouraging as many people as they can to go and see it.....

Nothing every changes things enough. But every little change is worth it!

Trikken Sun 06-Sep-09 10:52:35

Absolutely loved this film, saw it last night, tho not for people who cant cope with films that are shakey, eg blair witch or cloverfield. loved baby alien.

StayFrosty Sun 06-Sep-09 11:12:56

I agree it is the best film I've seen in ages. Unbelievably satisfying, and I just loved the way the fake documentary/verite style blended with the CGI aliens. It's just like nothing I've seen before, and I loved the combination of intelligent, witty, politically aware film making with balls to the walls action sequences. I do not have a bad word to say about this film, it was fantastic; an amazing debut for the director and lead actor, they both deserve huge success off the back of this.

Ceasnake Sun 06-Sep-09 14:28:19

Oh yes, the lead actor's performance was phenomenal. He managed to morph from flustered, ineffectual bureaucrat to someone you were really rooting for, someone becoming more aware of his own humanity just as he was losing it.

southeastastra Sun 06-Sep-09 14:35:18

just found alive in joberg here on youtube

fattybumbum Sat 12-Sep-09 20:59:07

I loved this! The wee boy alien reminded me so much of my son that I was terrified in case anything would happen to him. Interesting, thought-provoking and entertaining. Good stuff!

arolf Sat 12-Sep-09 21:10:59

just saw District 9 this afternoon - fantastic film! really thought provoking, intelligent alien film, and no hollywood gimboids spoiling it. the special effects were phenomenal - I totally believed in all the characters, and the aliens looked almost more real than the humans!

the child alien made me cry a bit, but as my baby was wriggling like crazy inside me throughout, that's probably why - just made me think about him more!

breathtaking film - well worth going to see it!

sfxmum Wed 23-Sep-09 13:10:04

Watched this last night smile had been longing for a proper sci fi film in ages and this is it
funny intelligent if flawed but with a wonderful central performance
highly recommend it

echt Sun 27-Sep-09 09:48:06

Superb film and glad to see it on these boards now. For some reason, any film with an Oz connection ( NZ - close enough) gets released in Oz before the UK, so I've had to wait to burble on about it.

What wonderful film-even the CGI types get character development. What's not to like? I accept the flaws; the overall effect is astounding.

Acinonyx Mon 28-Sep-09 11:03:38

Fantastic film - something really different to most sci-fi.

DuelingFanjo Mon 28-Sep-09 11:07:55

loved it. Seen it three times. I think it's an amazing film because it's funny but serious and also really emotional. I felt such sympathy for the Aliens. I really hope they make a sequel. Loved the stuff which gave a nod to displaced people all over the world who are treated badly by the people who are supposed to be helping them.

It's a deep film I think. Didn't give me nightmares though.

5inthebed Tue 29-Sep-09 19:28:10

Fantastic film. Highly recommend it to anyone.

The accents took me back to when I grew up in South Africa. Live about 2 hours from where the movie was filmed.

Kevlarhead Tue 29-Sep-09 23:58:01

Just saw it.

Am I shallow to be amused by the main character going "Fock! Fock! Foch! Fock!" in a SA accent?

Good film, but the (occasional) plot holes niggle. Like, how did Wikus & Christopher get from D9 to MNU? Everyone is out looking for Wikus and Christopher is confined to the ghetto...

But yeah, top quality. Little bit of something to raise the benchmark and make you realise what a raw deal SF gets in the cinema the rest of the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now