Talk

Advanced search

Inglourious Basterds

(16 Posts)
squeaver Mon 24-Aug-09 18:16:28

I quite liked it - more than I thought I would and it didn't feel as looong as I thought it would (2.5 hours).

Better than Kill Bill, I thought but not as good as Pulp Fiction.

The girl who plays Shoshanna is excellent, better than Diane Kruger.

And how much does this guy look like Rob Brydon??

sunfleurs Tue 25-Aug-09 17:57:20

I went to see this last night and I thought it was great, I came back raving about it to my babysitter. Really enjoyed.

Definitely better than Kill Bill and I thought slightly better than Pulp Fiction.

Brad Pitt was brilliant as well. Christoph Waltz was fab but reminds me too much of my ex FIL hmm. Michael Fassbender delish as always. Loved it.

harleyd Tue 25-Aug-09 17:59:07

i went last nite

thought it was a fantastic movie!
have been raving about it all day to anyone that'll listen to me

AvengingGerbil Tue 25-Aug-09 18:04:20

I can't go to see it. The deliberate bad spelling of the title just hacks me off too much every time I see it.

(Does the film explain, or is it just illiterate for no reason?)

squeaver Wed 26-Aug-09 11:25:28

AG - it's a Tarantino thing. Not explained but you have to be a film buff to know - apparently there was a film in the 70s with the same name and similar plot. This is a sort of homage to it (I only know this because Mark Kermode mentioned it).

The whole thing could have been about an hour shorter if they hadn't spent so much time doing close-ups of Brad, I thought. But that's the same as every single film he's ever in.

harleyd Wed 26-Aug-09 11:57:30

oh no i dont agree...i dont think they could have cut anything out of the film, i couldnt believe 2 and a half hours had passed tbh..it certaily didnt feel tat long

christoph waltz was fantastic
im gonna go back and see it again next week

ilove Wed 26-Aug-09 12:00:15

How violent is it? We're going to the cinema tonight and I am in two minds about whether I want to see it...I'm not really into violent films at all, couldn't stand Good Morning Vietnam, for instance, but loved Shawshank Redemption and V for Vendetta.

harleyd Wed 26-Aug-09 12:07:46

is violent
theres several squirming in your seat moments

harleyd Wed 26-Aug-09 12:11:18

its very graphic

squeaver Wed 26-Aug-09 12:26:44

too violent for you I think ilove. Had to cover my eyes a few times.

harleyd Wed 26-Aug-09 12:30:26

its just what you would expect from tarantino, its full on, close up, unrestrained

im not squeamish usually, but like squeaver i was watcing thru my fingers in places grin

ilove Wed 26-Aug-09 12:44:44

Thanks...The Ugly Truth or The Proposal it is then!

bidibidi Mon 14-Sep-09 19:20:33

On the gruesomeness levels, is it more like Reservoir dogs or Pulp Fiction or what? I need a complete forget-rest-of-your life movie, but NOT scarey (I don't do scarey) and don't want to feel sick about what is supposed to have happened.

Parmageddon Mon 14-Sep-09 19:27:16

It's not scary, but gruesome in parts. I enjoyed it and the time flew by. Also it has lots of dialogue in French, German and Italian as well as English which I enjoyed (as a linguist) - thought Christoph Waltz was excellent, but Brad Pitt was a bit wooden imo.

bidibidi Tue 15-Sep-09 12:54:25

I saw a review by Mark Kermode where he basically said that plot (scenes) doesn't (don't) tie together very well. I'm not sure about watching something that is just lots of good set pieces put back to back haphazardly.

boogiewoogie Tue 15-Sep-09 22:53:49

I thought it was quite good and that the scenes with the Jewish girl were the best ones. I would agree that the Bastard scenes didn't really do anything to make the film more worthwhile, I didn't enjoy them as much and thought it made the film as a whole a strange combination of serious war drama and slapstick violent comedy.

Some really outstanding performances from the Chris Waltz and Melanie Laurent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now