Talk

Advanced search

The Time Travellers Wife.

(20 Posts)
sunfleurs Tue 18-Aug-09 12:23:50

Did not read the book before I went to see this blush, I have it but never got round to it. Started today.

Loved this film, cried regularly all the way through and that is not like me. Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams are great in it. Well worth seeing.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 18-Aug-09 12:33:05

we went to see it yesterday, lovely film. DH laughed a lot at the dialogue with his best male friend.

Really good acting from all.

sunfleurs Tue 18-Aug-09 12:38:13

Yes, and the bit on the train, blubbed my eyes out at that.

Overmydeadbody Tue 18-Aug-09 12:39:55

I love the book and cannot imagine how the film will ever be able to do justice to it, so I think I will avoid watching the film.

BelfastBloke Tue 18-Aug-09 14:09:45

I considered not seeing it because I really like the book, but was perfectly content with the film. It's a really good adaptation.

Surprised that I cried a fair bit --- course, my defences are down because we've just discovered DW is pregnant, after an MC, so that section of the film was a bit emotional.

Makingchanges Tue 18-Aug-09 14:23:12

I've nearly finished the book and want to watch it after that - My DH has never read the book - will he be able to watch and keep up with the story or am I better going alone. (hes not keen on the backwards and forwards nature of the book but will go but I'm worried he won't like it) - I'm so pleased to hear that its good

Makingchanges Tue 18-Aug-09 14:41:28

I've nearly finished the book and want to watch it after that - My DH has never read the book - will he be able to watch and keep up with the story or am I better going alone. (hes not keen on the backwards and forwards nature of the book but will go but I'm worried he won't like it) - I'm so pleased to hear that its good

SuchandSuch Tue 18-Aug-09 14:56:25

I LOVE this book! and so surprised myself by sobbing all the way through the film - I had expected to be very disappointed by it.

me and sparklygothkat are going to watch this tonight. Better have the tissues handy then.

MummyElk Tue 18-Aug-09 15:05:20

yep go makingchanges it's actually quite linear in the film and easy to follow as a result, think he'll get it.
cried my little socks off when i saw it on saturday - utterly surprised by this because i LOVED the book and was a bit hmm that the film wouldn't do it justice.
go go go. even if you didn't like the book. it's just...lovely.

jeminthepantry Tue 18-Aug-09 15:12:33

OOh, loved the book and now can't wait to see the film with my friends...

plus3 Wed 19-Aug-09 09:08:35

pleased to hear all this - going with DH on Thursday. We both loved the book! Was worried about the film version also, Captain Corelli's Mandolin is one of my favourite books and I could not believe what they did to the film version..truely terrible.

monkeytrousers Fri 21-Aug-09 23:06:18

It's my all time fav bit of fiction.

Thoght the film did a good job - kept it on the posative side but payed homage to the deeper aspects of the book.

Great story bascically. Both leads are gorg. Something for everyone.

PS (for readers of the book) - Did anyone stay till the end of the credits to see if they kept the last bit in...?

monkeytrousers Mon 24-Aug-09 10:45:22

I had never noticed that Eric Bana had no toop lip though. Not that it matters a jot!

Bibithree Mon 24-Aug-09 19:47:26

I loved the book but thought the film was tripe shock
I considered walking out at one point, which I've only ever done once before.
Poor acting, I really didn't think it did the book justice at all.
I did however blub like a good 'un at the end.
On the plus side, Eric Bana spends a lot of time in the buff and although I'm not a fan of his, I'm now a big fan of Buff Bana grin
Seriously, I am surprised so many people liked it, I thought it would get slated. Book much better imvho.

MrsEricBanaMT Tue 25-Aug-09 09:58:12

'buff Bana' grin

Bibithree Tue 25-Aug-09 17:43:33

I've seen your dh nakey MrsEricBana - he's fiiiiiit. grin

southeastastra Tue 25-Aug-09 22:55:10

what happened at the end mt?

MrsEricBanaMT Tue 25-Aug-09 23:14:50

Whhhattt?! You have to read it to find out!

duffpancake Fri 11-Sep-09 22:45:03

I liked it but thought Rachel McAdams was a bit of a personality bypass; I've not read the book, is it intentional that she's kind of a cypher and you're more interested in him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now