Talk

Advanced search

Bruno anyone else seen it?

(11 Posts)
lowlandlady Mon 13-Jul-09 09:49:21

I went on Saturday night and laughed like a drain!

I think SBCohen is brilliant.

But I have some reservations about some of his targets many are pretty easy ones and you wonder how damaged some of these people might be by being immortalised (admittedly through their own faults) for all time as idiots.

The celebrity targets like Paula Abdul, fair enough, the fashion industry - fair enough, celebrity adoptions - fair enough, american homophobia - fair enough. But some of those ordinary people... I dunno is it really fair? Sure they deserve censure but it's hardly a fair fight is it?

GorgonsGin Mon 13-Jul-09 09:57:20

Yeah, i saw it on Saturday too. Very funny indeed, but the formula was much the same as with Borat. It lacked the originality I had hoped for.

I couldn't help thinking that SBC as Bruno didn't get enough mileage out of his victims - for example, when he interviewed that southern preacher he wore fetish gear, which immediately put the guy on the defensive. Couldn't help feeling if he'd worn something camp and taken it slower but less obviously, he could have set the situation up better and got more laughs.

I also thought that the whole Bruno = innocent abroad who finds love in the end, was just the same at Borat. I had expected a more bitchy, queeny type character in the film version

VietnameseCobbler Mon 13-Jul-09 09:59:19

i cant imagine wanting to watch either film tbh

lowlandlady Mon 13-Jul-09 10:05:58

GorgonsGin, very good points, the structure was similar. But the 'love' story did give that extraordinary display of homophobia at that wrestling thing. That was pretty amazing!

There is a strange mix of brilliant satire and just your basic bottom jokes.
I also think he is a genius actor and as many critics have pointed out an amazing physical comedian.
Whenever he's running away like in that scene in Israel. And the 'hummus/Hamas' bit, and the singing after it. Joyously funny.

gemmiegoatlegs Mon 13-Jul-09 10:10:42

I laughed harder than anyone in the cinema when we went to see it last night. I got the impression that some of the other cinema goers were shocked by how explicit the gay imagery was, but we are v. working class northern town, not much of a gay scene etc, so not sure how representative our audiences are of the big wide world.

lowlandlady Mon 13-Jul-09 10:29:00

I laughed so loudly dh asked me to shh!

But also for anyone who's seen it, that last song was by any standards a sell-out wasn't it? I mean don't kick celebrity ass your whole career and then suddenly Kiss it like crazy?

lowlandlady Mon 13-Jul-09 10:29:00

I laughed so loudly dh asked me to shh!

But also for anyone who's seen it, that last song was by any standards a sell-out wasn't it? I mean don't kick celebrity ass your whole career and then suddenly Kiss it like crazy?

Floopy21 Mon 13-Jul-09 10:53:53

I'm SO upset by the whole film - I shall boycott it. Bruno is my fave name for a boy (if we have one) & my Dp now says we can't possibly call him that. Thanks a bunch SashaBC!

lowlandlady Mon 13-Jul-09 11:00:34

Floopy, fwiw, I totally agree with you dh! Not a time to choose the name.

GorgonsGin Mon 13-Jul-09 14:03:57

Lowlandlady - I quite liked the gay love story aspect of the film. It gave it some structure. It was the road trip elements, the "I will go to America and become famous" start, followed by the Bruno friendless in America that I found to be a carbon copy of Borat. If you substitute Borat for Bruno and women for the gay lovers, the two characters could have been interchangable.

i also thought there would be a lot more of Bruno exposing the hypocracy and vanity of the fashion industry. h eis a fashionista afterall. I can't help thinking that none of those bits with models and fashion shows could be fleshed out (no pun intended grin) because they were found out too soon. I am sure this is a very different film than SBC intended to make, mainly because I assume they were doing everything on the hoof. In the end they fell back on the Borat formula of baiting dumb Americans, because that was the most sure fire way of getting the raise/humiliation he needed for the film.

I am still LMAO at the Jeremy Kyle style chat show and baby OJ though!

lowlandlady Mon 13-Jul-09 14:16:47

gorgons, this review covers some real probs
here

but ur so right about the fashion industry, I think everyone just knew about Bruno and he couldn't fool enough people to make it work.

Shame though because there is tons of scope I agree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now