Talk

Advanced search

has anyone seen Todd Solondz's Happiness?

(9 Posts)
queenrollo Thu 11-Jun-09 14:12:37

we had a couple of films arrive from LoveFilm and dp had ordered Happiness. We'd watched Welcome To The Dollhouse a couple of months ago and it was ok.

I've had to turn Happiness off. It made me feel sick. I'm just wondering if i'm over-reacting to this or whether anyone else has seen it and would agree that one of the main story-lines in it is just totally inappropriate?

CrouchingTigger Thu 11-Jun-09 14:49:09

I saw it - well some of it. I left the cinema when she was being tied up with a wooden pole thing, and I just though 'oh FFS, another thing'. I got the point, I just didn't enjoy it at all and didn't want to watch anymore. It did disturb me and is the only film I have left part way through. Grim stuff. Fortunately I can't remember much about it now, but I don't think you are over-reacting.

CrouchingTigger Thu 11-Jun-09 14:59:42

Oops, no ignore that. The film I am talking about is Romance by Catherine Breillat.

I did see Happiness too. I did find it very thought-provoking and uncomfortable at times, but certainly interesting, and not gratuitous (which Romance is). I wouldn't watch it again for pleasure, but am glad I saw it - it raises interesting questions. I wouldn't take anyone with a sensitive disposition with me though.

Servalan Thu 11-Jun-09 15:20:26

I've seen Happiness. I can understand why it upset you. It made me feel very unsettled and pretty sick too.

I wouldn't describe is as "inappropriate" - well, depending on who's watching it of course! Although the subject matter of that storyline is obviously unpalettable, it is sadly something that exists in society. I did not find it gratuitous or salacious, which would have been inappropriate. Just horrible really.

That said, I thought it was stunningly written, insightful and thought-provoking. Like Crouching Tigger I was glad I saw it, though I'm not in any hurry to see it again.

It was never going to be an easy-going watch though was it? Let's face it, "Welcome to the Dollshouse" is very, very dark (though brilliant imo).

queenrollo Thu 11-Jun-09 15:35:42

i found Welcome To The Dollshouse dark, but i did enjoy it. I have found films uncomfortable to watch in the past but have always been able to see it through to the end (because sometimes you have to see the whole thing to be able to judge) but this film actually made me feel sick. It had been billed to me as 'black comedy' but by the time it became obvious what Dylan Baker's character was i just found that it distracted from any humour in the film.

I have read a little more about the film since turning it off and have decided this is one film i will not be seeing to the end, a fate i usually reserve for films that are simply 'trash' (IMO of course)

PadDad Sat 13-Jun-09 08:10:01

A great film, brilliantly acted, exposing people's guilt about giving in to their darker sides.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 13-Jun-09 08:12:53

I really loved Happiness. It's one of my favourite films.

One of the main storylines is quite provocative, and I can understand that it might upset people. I found it upsetting, but interesting, too.

HelloBeastie Mon 15-Jun-09 16:13:53

I thought you were going to ask if you should go and see it, I was going to say no!

I mean, it's a good film and all, hard-hitting, thought-provoking etc, but it's just one of those ones I really wish I could wipe from my brain, you know? And Storytelling was a pretty uncomfortable watch too...

Molesworth Wed 15-Jul-09 22:46:21

I just recommended Happiness to someone on another thread grin

I was blown away by it. Thought it was blackly hilarious and full of wonderful performances. Wasn't so taken with Storytelling though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now