Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Star Wars Return of the Sith, WHY is it a 15 and should I try to sneak a 7yo in to see it anyway?

(121 Posts)
WideWebWitch Tue 12-Apr-05 22:30:08

Ds is a Star Wars fan and has been for ages. He has millions of Star Wars figures, all the films, light sabers (thanks Janh for some of them!) queued in Virgin to get a dvd set signed by Darth Vader etc. And he is absolutely heartbroken that the new Star Wars film is a 15. Does anyone know why? And, I think I know the answer, but would anyone attempt to sneak him in anyway? He's tall but, obviously, not 15. However, the people manning the ticket booths and taking tickets at the local cinemas are spotty youths who probably don't know the difference between a 7yo and a 15yo. Or would they? Does everyone? I am torn. I bought 2 tickets before I knew it was a 15 for the first day it's on. Happy for dp to see it first to check why it's a 15 but also would like to know what you think - if dp thinks it's Ok for ds to watch should we try to get him in?

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Apr-05 22:31:15

Oh god, you're all going to say I'm a hag for even contemplating exposing my sweetie boy to a 15, I know it!

motherinferior Tue 12-Apr-05 22:32:39

No idea, but feel moved to tell you that Star Wars, the first one, is the only film I've ever snogged ALL the way through.

I was 14. And although I've googled for him many a time, never found out what happened to my fellow snogger....

cupcakes Tue 12-Apr-05 22:33:07

On the UCI site it seems to think it is PG - is this outdated?

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Apr-05 22:33:55

Oh you fox MI! Thanks for that!

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Apr-05 22:35:09

Oh I SO hope you're right cupcakes, anyone know for sure? The local cinema ASSURED me it's a 15. I did think it was strange since it would stop a lot of small boys seeing it.

paolosgirl Tue 12-Apr-05 22:35:14

Ooooh, WWW, you're going straight to hell

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Apr-05 22:37:35

Odeon say cert tbc and the bbfc site is down. Oh I so hope it's PG. Anyone work for Fox?

turquoise Tue 12-Apr-05 22:38:20

My ds (10) is adamant that he's going. I think it depends on your ds - it's supposed to be much darker than the rest of the series. My ds loved all the LOTR and I thought there were some fairly scary bits in those - I think I'll try and sneak my ds in. I would trust your dp's judgement - if he thinks it's ok then give it a try?

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Apr-05 22:40:10

Turquoise, I doubt it will scare him tbh, I'm not too worried about that so would let him go with dp if it's PG. Actually, I'd have thought the studio would be massively pushing for it NOT to be a 15.

hunkersneakymunker Tue 12-Apr-05 22:41:12

this says it'll be a 12A and that Lucas had trouble keeping it to that as all the Jedi, plus all the children or younglings in training are brutally slain

Frizbe Tue 12-Apr-05 22:43:06

Its supposed to be the darkest of them all yet, .....the message is it's good to be bad....remember in this one Vadar should win! he should do this by dumping his pregnant wife - that'll be Natalie Portman then, not only that but preggers with twins! wot a git! then killing loads of people...I have to say I don't know the acutal plot and am reserving judgement, but he's not with the wife in Star Wars, so he must get rid of her somehow?
Cupcakes is right its showing as PG so far as I'm aware, although they may make it a 12a if they chicken out, it's a 15 State side I think?
We're gona check it out before taking ss (nearly 7) as don't fancy dealing with nightmares!

cupcakes Tue 12-Apr-05 22:43:33

Have just been on the BBFC website and it doesn't look as if they've made a decision yet.

lilibet Tue 12-Apr-05 22:44:36

Bit of a plot spoiler there hunker???????

Frizbe Tue 12-Apr-05 22:45:26

well found hunker!

turquoise Tue 12-Apr-05 22:46:29

I thought it said PG13 when I saw the trailer in the states but can't remember for sure.

hunkersneakymunker Tue 12-Apr-05 22:49:04

Sorry Lillibet! Didn't occur to me [doh emoticon]

Mind you, fairly obvious, since we've seen the ending - what with films 4, 5 and 6 being made before 1, 2 and 3!

JanH Tue 12-Apr-05 22:50:45

UCI says 12A too, not PG - is the "A" advisory? Can a 7-yr-old get in?

Is he still using the sabers, www? That's fab, I'm really pleased!

roisin Tue 12-Apr-05 22:51:18

Oh crikey

We're in the same boat WWW. We've promised ds1 he can go, I had no idea it was going to be "dark and scary". My instant thoughts are:
If it's a 15 - no way, but I'm not sure dh will agree!
If it's a 12A, that means "under 12s at the discretion of an adult" doesn't it? Scary films are even scarier on big screen at cinema, but I think he'd be OK.

Oh, I really don't know. LOTR was a 12A, and I'd still not be happy for him to see that on the big screen.

lilibet Tue 12-Apr-05 22:52:16

If all the Jedi are slain, how come there are still Jedi in 4?

roisin Tue 12-Apr-05 22:55:09

lilibet - you sound as though you can follow the plots? It's beyond me!

JanH Tue 12-Apr-05 22:56:59

Isn't Obi Wan the only one in 4? (Haven't seen it for years so scuse ignorance if wrong!)

lilibet Tue 12-Apr-05 23:11:05

Not sure really - tutb says that Obi Wan is out in the desert, and Yoda is still there. At the start of Star wars the Empire are in control with the Evil Emperor and Darth Vader. Luke, once trained, joins the rebel army.

I very often wear his 'dark side' socks and that really is the extent of my knowledge

oh yes - and Harrison Ford is really gorgeous!

Frizbe Tue 12-Apr-05 23:12:46

That should read was georgeous, he's rather old now!

lilibet Tue 12-Apr-05 23:13:30

but so am I Frizbe !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now