Talk

Advanced search

The Duchess

(26 Posts)
PeaMcLean Wed 03-Sep-08 22:22:15

yes, I know it's not out yet.

Would you take your husband to see it?

TurkeyLurkey Wed 03-Sep-08 22:25:24

No. But only because Keira Knightley irritates him like mad.

poshtottie Wed 03-Sep-08 22:35:05

No, as he fancies her like mad.

TurkeyLurkey Wed 03-Sep-08 22:38:27

No, becasue I'm mad.

Sorry grin

eandz Wed 03-Sep-08 22:40:50

i saw the trailer today. if there weren't soo many advertising schemes to tie it into the princess diana/prince charles drama i would have taken my husband to see it.

it's a shame really because i wanted to see this together. argh!

i can't wait for the edge of love and the women to come out. i think i'm just on an estrogen high.

PeaMcLean Wed 03-Sep-08 22:41:53

Havent' seen the trailer. Read the book and i can see why they'd go down that route. Sad to push it though, good story without all that.

jette Fri 05-Sep-08 13:48:19

I wouldn't take anyone to see it - it looks DREADFUL.
Tho the wigs are quite funny..

expatinscotland Fri 05-Sep-08 13:49:35

i refuse to see anything with Kiera Knightley in it.

not to mention the artistic license used to 'create' this pile of dung.

great book, though!

MillieMummy Fri 05-Sep-08 13:50:19

No, dp hates 'blousy dramas' ie anything where they are not wearing jeans !

I hate the tag-line, so not going on principle.

nowirehangers Fri 05-Sep-08 14:09:40

I went to the premier [aren't I flash! emoticon]
With my dh
He's not into costume dramas and loathes KK - as do I, usually. He went because we had free tickets.
To both of our surprise, he really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it too. It's not brilliant, I was a bit bored in the middle, but it's worth a night out imo, a great story and KK really is - whisper - quite good. She ain't Meryl Streep still, but you can see she's really been working to master the craft and compared to - say - her dire performanc in Bend it Like Beckham, she's improved beyond recognition. All credit to her. The final scenes moved me to tears and in the ladies afterwards everyone was sniffing and tidying up their mascara. Forget the stupid ad campaign it's got nothing really to do with the film and in no way affects your enjoyment of it.

mabanana Sat 06-Sep-08 19:12:59

Saw it today and absolutely loved it. I thought the performances were perfect, it was incredibly moving (I cried) and the costumes are amazingly beautiful. It's an amazing story.

Podrick Tue 09-Sep-08 16:41:54

It is a fabulous film and it made me cry! I think this is Keira Knightley's best performance to date by far. It is the hot ticket of the moment.

binkythebullet Thu 18-Sep-08 22:42:03

I normally dislike Pouty Keira, but I enjoyed this. I blubbed - it's a pretty desperate story.

hatwoman Fri 19-Sep-08 09:26:50

I saw it - with dh - and we both thought it was great. I had quite a few tears too. I did think it was a bit of a shame that the story was so strongly focused on her role as wife/mother/lover and not so much on her public persona - which was obviously in the film a bit, but I'm given to understand that she was politically amazing (for the time) and hugely admired - it was a shame to reduce that to quick hints rather than develop it and focus purely on the lady di/charles parallels. I think there was a lot more to her than the film leaves you with. but it was a good film

flowerybeanbag Fri 19-Sep-08 09:28:58

I indulgently went to see it by myself last week during the afternoon while the nanny was here instead of working blush

I really enjoyed it and also cried

hatwoman Fri 19-Sep-08 10:39:12

fbb - there's nothing wrong with a bit of indulgence every now and then smile

fruittea Fri 19-Sep-08 10:51:51

I've promised my DD that I'll take her tomorrow as she's a HUGE Keira fan. I know it's rated 12A - but how suitable, in practice, do you think it is for a 13 year old?

hatwoman Fri 19-Sep-08 11:14:23

really not sure - without giving too much away there's two pretty unpleasant sex scenes and not much in the way of nice, as it were, sex to balance it. not having a 13 year old I find it hard to say...I'm not sure how worldy-wise 13 years olds are. I guess it's probably ok. -

fruittea Fri 19-Sep-08 11:20:12

That's what I wondered tbh. I knew it had sexual scenes but wasn't sure of their nature. I was warned off The Other Boleyn Girl because of the rape scene. DD isn't that worldly-wise. Hmm, will have to give this some more thought. Thanks.

hatwoman Fri 19-Sep-08 11:22:55

I'm stuck between minor plot-spoiling and being upfront...

fruittea Fri 19-Sep-08 11:23:43

grin

I can handle it!

hatwoman Fri 19-Sep-08 11:26:56

ok good - because I feel guilty at even calling them "sex scenes". terrified, lying still, crying, wedding night scene. and then later an angry rape scene. (neither of which really plot spoil, or come as a suprise) it's almost the former that would worry me more for a child to watch - one minute she's a happy newly-wed young thing...next thing it's the wedding night.

fruittea Fri 19-Sep-08 11:32:12

Thanks for that. It's a tough one. We had "the sex talk" at around 11 but haven't really had reason to talk an awful lot more about it, certainly not at that level. That time's coming though, so maybe this will give us reason for another chat - not a bad thing.

Maybe the wedding night scene will put her off for a good few more years - bonus!

greenandpleasant Fri 19-Sep-08 11:34:08

fruittea, also ... again hope this is not too much of a spoiler ... a lesbian sex scene - sort of. no nudity but kissing and a bit of fondling! just so you're forewarned.

fruittea Fri 19-Sep-08 11:35:49

I'm starting to wonder what sort of things the censors think 12 year olds are experienced with these days hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now