Talk

Advanced search

To complement 'Films That Made You Cry' thread, what films did everyone tell you was a real weepie but just didn't really do it for you?

(17 Posts)
ifyoudidntlaughyoudcry Wed 03-Sep-08 11:46:57

For me it was My Girl and Ghost (apologies in advance).

I thought Ghost was a good film but it didn't bring on the waterworks (and I am a real crier....gameshows...TV progs...anything). DP was a snotty mess by the end of it!

As for My Girl, maybe it's because I only watched it as an adult but I thought it was a bit naff!

ladytophamhatt Wed 03-Sep-08 11:52:10

E.T

great big steaming pile of (alien) poo that was.

I sobbed and sobbed at Ghost though.

nancy75 Wed 03-Sep-08 11:53:41

titanic, i admit i did almost cry out of boredom but nothing else!

Sidge Wed 03-Sep-08 12:01:54

The English Patient.

The most tedious film ever. The only reason it would make you cry is because you think it will never end.

Dropdeadfred Wed 03-Sep-08 12:03:03

Beaches....I felt manipulated...it annoyed me.

FabioFlangeCat Wed 03-Sep-08 12:04:48

Please explain: why would you want to watch a film that sent your mascara and foundation down your neck and left you snotty and blotchy?

I genuinely don't get this.
I like Carry On films.

lucykate Wed 03-Sep-08 12:06:59

titanic, leo & kate just didn't make a convincing couple for me

snickersnack Wed 03-Sep-08 12:07:18

I agree with Sidge - soooo bored during The English Patient. I was the only person in the whole cinema who wasn't weeping by the end; I was dancing a jig of relief that it was over and I didn't have to watch it again.

Fabio - it's cathartic, innit. A chance to wallow in misery that isn't related to your own life for a couple of hours can be very therapeutic.

FabioFlangeCat Wed 03-Sep-08 12:09:35

Really?
Can't you just chop onions and listen to the Archers?

pushchair Wed 03-Sep-08 12:27:21

The English Patient. Who cared about the pair of cold, conniving adulterers. I did like the nurse and lover though
Titanic nope
Cried at Mel Gibson holding that cloth as he was hung drawn and quartered in Braveheart

Dropdeadfred Wed 03-Sep-08 12:38:35

i suprised myself an dh by dissolving into a salty mess at the cinema watching Titanic....I didn't know that he wouldn't survive!!!!! shock

ifyoudidntlaughyoudcry Wed 03-Sep-08 13:47:53

Fabio - I do see what you mean but I must admit, I always feel better once I have had a good cry, even if I wasn't sad beforehand! Hey my friends and I have a 'misery' tape full of sad songs which we used to play at university together when we were feeling down! It cheers me right up!

Titanic made me cry but not because of Jack and Rose (didn't think they were that convincing as a couple), more so because the whole thing was sad, true story etc and the clip where they show the couple in bed together holding each other set me off.

Beaches gets me everytime - the songs, the way they've been friends forever, the differences in their personalities, the arguments, makes me really cherish my best friends.

Never seen ET or English Patient, should I bother?

falcon Wed 03-Sep-08 21:05:52

I love The English Patient, well worth a watch imo if rather long, even just for the pleasure of staring at Mr Fiennes.

midlandsmumof4 Sat 20-Sep-08 00:01:56

The boxing one with Jon Voight-Champ? Never really did it for me (hope that doesn't make me sound hard cos everyone I know were really touched)

MrsBates Sat 20-Sep-08 00:10:27

Titanic didn't do it for me. The Railway Children always does though, when Roberta shouts 'Daddy my daddy!' on the platform. sniff.

The English Patient - not really although the bit in the cave did get to me on one viewing - but recently bereaved so nothing to do with the characters.

FanjolinaJolly Sat 20-Sep-08 00:12:47

Titanic

Ghost

cali Sat 20-Sep-08 00:15:06

E.T, Titanic, English Patient

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now