Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone watch 'Walk the Line' and wasn't it fantastic??!

(17 Posts)
FlightAttendent Sat 30-Aug-08 09:00:54

My God, I was so impressed. How gorgeous is that deeeep voice! smile

I missed the last 20 minutes but seeing as I never get to watch anything these days except Space f*cking Pirates, I was happy...

saltire Sat 30-Aug-08 09:03:33

Oh yes, I saw it when it came out. I dragged DH along to the cinema in Dundee, as I am a huge fan of Johnny Cash and Joaquin phoenix
It was spoiled somewhat by what appeared to be the Tayside branch of the Johnny cash fan club singing along in the audience.
I think both the main stars were fab, especially JP as JC!.

S1ur Sat 30-Aug-08 09:07:41

yy ace film

FlightAttendent Sat 30-Aug-08 09:08:29

Wasn't he glorious?

wow....

lol at the fan club!!!grin I would have had to threaten them with extreme violence I think!! Sacrilege...

FlightAttendent Sat 30-Aug-08 09:09:12

Mind you I found it hard to distinguish between the female leads at one point. I think this was down to being half asleep!

saltire Sat 30-Aug-08 09:15:11

My aunt was at the concert in Canada when Johnny proposed to June on stage. My aunt was born in canada and was out there and her friends took her for her birthday. She's 81 now and still talks about it

FlightAttendent Sat 30-Aug-08 09:17:55

Oh! Gosh. How marvellous. envy

smile

I missed that bit in the film. Will have to buy it I think...

saltire Sat 30-Aug-08 09:20:31

I have it on DVd.
I grew up listening to country music (my mum) and pipe bands and scottish music (my dad) grin.

MrsJamin Sat 30-Aug-08 09:21:14

Yes the movie's one of my favourites, reece witherspoon and Joaquin phoenix are just brilliant, and it's lovely to know that they were picked by june and johnny to play themselves before they died.

saltire, how fab that your aunt was at that famous concert! what a thing to witness.

AbricotsSecs Sat 30-Aug-08 09:22:19

Message withdrawn

FlightAttendent Sat 30-Aug-08 09:23:27

Oh did they really pick the actors? That's amazing.

Saltire - I only got into the whole Carter/cash thing by way of Bob Dylan (North Country Girl etc)

I love it

saltire Sat 30-Aug-08 09:27:21

Apparently when they were discussing the film with Johnny and June, Joaquin met them. Johnny recited to Joaqiun part of the "Virtues" speech from Gladiator, in which Joaquin played Commodus. The speech was the one whcih began
"You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues: Wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance", and he went on to tell him how evil he thought Commodus was.

twoboots Sat 30-Aug-08 11:49:07

I hate to be a geek, but Johnny Cash's autobiog is one of my favs and the film is so clean compared to the biog. Cash once climbed into a cave covered in indian drawings, took lots of pills and waited to die.

Beachcomber Sat 30-Aug-08 11:54:53

Love it. Wasn't it on telly not that long ago on a different channel?

I only saw the first half last night as had a friend over. Remember staying up far too late one night a few months ago to watch it though. Fabby film. Twoboots you have inspired me to buy autobiography.

jellybeans Sat 30-Aug-08 16:53:03

I love that film too.

southeastastra Sat 30-Aug-08 17:00:12

lol at the Tayside branch of the Johnny cash fan club in the audience!

yes great film, very sad at the beginning.

pinkteddy Sat 30-Aug-08 17:06:35

Saw it for the first time last night and loved it too although sometimes the continuity left a bit to be desired.

Really want to read the autobiog now, twoboots what is it called? Great to hear that Johnny and June picked the actors too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now