Talk

Advanced search

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - ZZZZzzzzzzz

(11 Posts)
Jodee Mon 11-Aug-08 10:23:50

Yes, I fell asleep! Best way of staying dry on a very wet Saturday afternoon though. Nice Yetis. That's about it. grin

annaje Mon 11-Aug-08 12:12:18

Yep - took the kids to see it Saturday - and I have to agree with you. Yetis were the best bit in it. I can't believe the amount of money they must spend on producing this crap....

And I went knowing it would be rubbish - more fool me!

PortAndLemon Wed 13-Aug-08 15:16:57

Oh dear, it was worse than I expected (and I wasn't expecting much). Maria Bello doing a very strange impression of Emma Thompson, no chemistry of any kind between any of the leads, and some very odd framing decisions (so that you completely lost the impact of some presumably beautifully choreographed fight sequences.

And that's before getting onto the "we must stop the Emperor from being brought back to life. No, actually we must stop him from reaching the golden tower. Or possibly from visiting the pool at Shangri-La. No, scratch that, what we really need to do is stop the army crossing the Great Wall..." excuse for a plot.

If Brendan Fraser hadn't taken off his shirts at one point it would have been a complete (as opposed to almost complete) waste of two hours of my life.

annaje Thu 14-Aug-08 08:16:52

And the "kid" looked about 25 - where as the parents looked barely 40. I've always liked Mario Bello, but she was awful in this and Brendan Fraser really can't cut it as a leading man IMO.

fedupandisolated Thu 14-Aug-08 08:23:01

No Arnold Vosloo = no point. grin

PortAndLemon Thu 14-Aug-08 08:32:49

The thing is, Brendan Fraser can demonstrably act (see his turns in smaller movies). And he gets cast in Big Dumb Movies. But for some reason he seems to be incapable of acting in Big Dumb Movies. Maybe it's like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time?

I can't believe I'm still ranting about random plot points, but there's just been a war. Why has O'Connell Junior spent the last few years in and out of college rather than fighting in it?

Yes, Luke Ford is 27 and looks every year of it. He just doesn't work as a son of Fraser (39) and Bello (41).

wuzzlefraggle Thu 14-Aug-08 09:50:07

NOOOOOO, BUT I LOVE JET LI!!!

Please someone, tell me that Jet Li wasn't shite!!! HE CANT BE!!!

Sorry lol

annaje Thu 14-Aug-08 10:52:11

yep - Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh (have I spelt that right?) are wasted in this. Brendan Fraser is fine - I don't dislike him, but he doesn't have the charm to pull off these type of roles - in comparison to someone like Harrison Ford as "indy" who at 60 has way more charm in a similar role!

Never mind - I'm sure Hollywood will keep churning out this crap. Why do they so underestimate our intelligence....(and why do I keep going....hmm

IMO the stuff on TV (american anyway) is far better than most of the films (excluding Batman).

Ashantai Sun 17-Aug-08 00:31:12

I just adored the first 2 Mummy films, mainly because of the chemistry between Brendan and Rachel. But this time round omg, i kept forgetting who Maria Bello was supposed to be??, absolutely zero chemistry.

And Alex, he looked about 30! No Arnold Vosloo, wtf! I did enjoy seeing Jet Li tho and there were enough explosions to keep me happy, and how cute were the yeti's smile

I didnt think it was that awful tho and the kids will love it so i'll have to go and see it again with them.

JamieJay Sun 17-Aug-08 00:45:33

Saw this with DH and it was a total car crash of a film. I enjoyed the first two, okay nothing amazing but fun - this was just dire.

What was the whole thing with the bloody yak - 'the yak just yakked' - was that supposed to be comic relief or something.

fedup - totally agree about Arnold Vosloo, he is yummy, watched Mummy Returns this afternoon [swoon]

MARGOsBeenPlayingWithMyNooNoo Sun 17-Aug-08 01:40:23

I've just seen it tonight. Wasn't as good as the first two but there was enough action to keep it exciting. I missed Rachael Weiss (sp?)- Actually i thought she was his 2nd wife and I was waiting for them to explain what had happened to wife no. 1

Jet Li - I was disappointed with his character. Very distant and didn't feel like "he" was the enemy but the army was iykwim?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now