Talk

Advanced search

The Other Boleyn Girl

(5 Posts)
ipanemagirl Thu 07-Aug-08 10:42:29

Saw this last night. Lushly filmed and some great actors etc but I didn't think it worked really.

Anne is so unsympathetic that you don't really care about her in the end, she appears to be getting what she deserves almost! And also the passion between Henry and Mary feels far more plausible than Anne and Henry. Their relationship is just thoroughly implausible. Henry's reaction to Mary having his son is just improbable! But it's a bodice ripper so what can you expect?

Janos Thu 07-Aug-08 19:20:12

Was this the Natalie Portman/Scarlett Johannssen one?

I saw this with DP a couple of months back (lured him in cos he fancies NP) and thought it was OK but agree that it didn't really work.

Thought Mary very wet and the love scenes lacked passion.

Sparks of excellence though. wish they had explored the 'women as chattel' theme (there's more of this in the book). That would have made for an interesting film.

cornsilk Thu 07-Aug-08 19:21:46

which one was Anne then?

Janos Thu 07-Aug-08 19:31:24

Natalie Portman.

She is very 'pert' as Anne and I think it was a good portrayal tbh.

Don't think she was a very sympathetic character IRL - Anne Boleyn, not Natalie Portman obv!

ipanemagirl Thu 07-Aug-08 22:33:23

Yes that's the one. I did enjoy the locations though and they spent some real money on those scenes of galloping.
But I didn't really believe in any of the relationships.

Thought Kristin Scott Thomas wiped the floor with the rest of the cast! She is just wonderful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now