Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Space Chimps - anyone seen it?

(13 Posts)
handlemecarefully Sun 03-Aug-08 10:03:19

Weather forecast isn't too clever for next week so I am thinking cinema with kids one day...have seen Wall-E (can't understand what all the hype was about, found it 'so so') and Kung Fu Panda, so that leaves Space Chimps. Has anybody seen Space Chimps and is it worth a look? (dcs are 4 and 6)

I've viewed the trailer on Odeon online and it seemed watchable, but there were only a couple of reviews on there and they were not particularly positive....

Tas1 Sun 03-Aug-08 10:08:56

DH took DD aged 5 to see it yesturday while I took other DD's 11 & 13 to see M/mia.
He said it was OK but most of the good bits were shown in the trailers. DD liked it though.

LurkerOfTheUniverse Sun 03-Aug-08 11:03:54

it's truely awful, worse than over the hedge and the like

went to see it yesterday, my dd was scared of some scenes (she is a wuss though)so we didn't stay for the end

don't waste your cash

handlemecarefully Sun 03-Aug-08 23:03:13

I quite liked Over the Hedge!

ImnotOK Sun 03-Aug-08 23:06:34

I liked over the hedge,dd really wants to see space chimps so I shall watch this thread with interest.

handlemecarefully Sun 03-Aug-08 23:11:46

Phew! not just me then

falcon Sun 03-Aug-08 23:18:19

I liked Over The Hedge also but Space Chimps doesn't appeal at all.

handlemecarefully Sun 03-Aug-08 23:44:18

found some links to various reviews here

handlemecarefully Sun 03-Aug-08 23:48:46

I suspect (could of course be wrong) that some of the poor reviews are like this one "If jokes about missing links and “the primate directive” are your idea of the height of wit... If monkeys in space suits but with bare hands and feet are your idea of the height of science fiction... If you haven’t gotten enough this year of terrible comedies ripping off jokes from the 30-year-old Airplane!"

i.e. adults missing the point that this film is errrr ...a kid's film. So height of sophistication out / slapstick comedy in.

Not meaning to invalidate your opinion though Lurker (disarming smile emotion)

squilly Mon 04-Aug-08 20:38:43

My daughter (7) said it was o.k. She preferred Walle. We saw Kung Fu Panda today and she said she found the bit in the middle quite boring. She preferred Space Chimps to the Panda.

I liked Walle best.

Next on the hit list is the Narnia/Caspian movie (I think).

My friend wants to see the Fox and the Child, but I think that one looks a bit too virtuous for my liking. But then, I'm uncouth!

handlemecarefully Tue 05-Aug-08 15:54:46

Just come back from Space Chimps. I'm not being contrary but I honestly enjoyed it a little more than Wall-e. It has a bit more pace and action, and I did laugh aloud a few times.

Not sure why it has had such a low key critical reception by movie reviewers. OK it isn't the best children's film in the world but it was perfectly watchable and fun viewing. It held my attention as an adult fairly well and the children were fully absorbed in it.

LurkerOfTheUniverse Wed 06-Aug-08 11:58:06

well, i'm not great with kid's films generally, hated that bee film & happy feet

loved alvin & the chipmonks though

handlemecarefully Wed 06-Aug-08 19:50:04

Happy feet was extraordinarily dull wasn't it (zzzz), I enjoyed Bee movie though. Can agree with you on Alvin and the Chipmunks though Lurker grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now