Talk

Advanced search

DVDs you have really enjoyed watching in the last couple of months

(48 Posts)
1066andallthat Sat 05-Jul-08 16:12:19

Going to have some time to watch a film, so please help inspire me.

Have seen "Juno" and "Atonement" recently and loved them both. Not a horror fan - actually, I'm a wimp so even disturbing thrillers are out grin.

So, come on MN, what shall I take out to watch and why?

smallwhitecat Sat 05-Jul-08 16:22:16

Message withdrawn

3Ddonut Sat 05-Jul-08 16:23:20

I've got 'the other boleyn girl' sat waiting for me to watch, the book was great!

Dottoressa Sat 05-Jul-08 16:23:44

Enchanted is enchanting!

Amidst all the doom and gloom about credit crunches, divorce statistics, allegedly miserable children etc etc etc, it's so refreshing to see something that shares my own belief in happy endings.

VictorianSqualor Sat 05-Jul-08 16:25:25

Deja Vu.
It wasn't a DVD but on Sky, but really really good.

I can't say much without giving it away what happens so don't want to spoil it but basically it's a crime thriller with a time travel twist.

mamalovesmojitos Sat 05-Jul-08 16:33:06

god yeah, i was dreading going to watch Enchanted but i really enjoyed it! the prince was so gorgeous.

paris, je t'aime was absolutely fantastic. if you love paris and romance like i do it is perfect.

Flamesparrow Sat 05-Jul-08 16:38:18

Run Fatboy Run

I love Simon Pegg though

Ambi Sat 05-Jul-08 16:49:06

I liked Juno, Perfect Stranger, Charlie Wilsons War. I've got the bucket list to watch yet.

VS - I couldn't get into Deja Vu and i really like Denzel normally. It was a bit too unreallistic for me.

VictorianSqualor Sat 05-Jul-08 16:52:20

Really Ambi? I found the first bit slightly far fetched but as it got more into I was hooked.

Ambi Sat 05-Jul-08 16:58:00

I keep telling myself to watch it again to see if hooks me, but it was the footage being able to see through walls that made me ask more questions.

Denzel is fab though and Inside man is one of my favs.

cyteen Sat 05-Jul-08 16:58:29

I was going to recommend The Dark Hour (La Hora Fria)...in fact, fuck it, I'm still going to recommend The Dark Hour - despite being labelled as a horror film, it really isn't. It's more of a sci fi slow burner, not gory, not scary at all, just fascinating and terribly sad. Very involving performances and a great twist at the end.

VictorianSqualor Sat 05-Jul-08 17:02:53

Ah, that's part of the twist Ambi, of course footage shouldn't be able to see through walls.wink

treacletart Sat 05-Jul-08 17:38:27

Stardust - a beautiful film and a very satisfactory yarn with great special effects and plenty laught out loud stuff too. Right up there with my favourite films now.

Ambi Sat 05-Jul-08 18:01:29

Ah - that'll teach me for switching it off before the end again! D'oh smile

Pruners Sat 05-Jul-08 18:10:45

Message withdrawn

1066andallthat Sat 05-Jul-08 20:13:09

Off to cut and paste this into a "shopping" list - thanks, everyone.

Liked "Room with a view" - yes, I do like slow films with not much happening but with lots of beautiful scenery. If you've seen one "Pride and Prejudice", haven't you seen them all, unless the leading man is truly gorgeous?

3Dd - have you watched "The Other Boleyn Girl" yet? Any good?

Mmm - just need to plan the goodies to go with the films and I'm away.

Ambi Sat 05-Jul-08 21:51:26

Pruners - I LOVE the 40yr old virgin!

LazyLinePainterJane Sat 05-Jul-08 21:54:29

Be Kind, Rewind.

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Sat 05-Jul-08 21:57:37

We saw Run Fat Boy Run last night, loved it - dh laughed so much he had use his inhaler.

VictorianSqualor Sat 05-Jul-08 22:10:25

I loved 30yr old virgin, what was be kind rewind like? I normally love jack black, but hated nacho libre.

christiana Sat 05-Jul-08 22:16:59

Message withdrawn

1066andallthat Sat 05-Jul-08 22:22:56

How does "The Other Boleyn Girl" compare with the book?

I thought "The Last King of Scotland" was really powerful.

Ambi Sat 05-Jul-08 22:23:45

Last king of scotland is a very good film - if not a bit gruesome, as so many of these african films are. I don't think I can handle any more of them, even if they are good like Hotel Rwanda.

1066andallthat Sun 06-Jul-08 09:57:13

The list so far is:
Gosford Park
Enchanted
Deja Vu
Run Fatboy Run
Perfect Stranger,
La Hora Fria
Charlie Wilsons War
Stardust
40-Yr-Old Virgin?
Junebug
Be Kind, Rewind
Hotel Rwanda
Thanks again, everyone.
Any more must sees?

christiana Sun 06-Jul-08 10:02:59

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now